Cannot open files from Windows Explorer

Anonymous
2013-03-07T18:02:54+00:00

In order to open up files in excel 2013 (csv, xlsx, or xls) i must open them directly from within Excel. If I double click a file from Windows Explorer, Excel opens up but does not open the file. No errors. Just a **** excel instance. It looks like I just opened up the application from my start screen.

Other Office 2013 applications work as expected. I.e, I can open up a docx from Windows Explorer just fine.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-07-26T11:35:22+00:00

    I had this issue also. Try to repair the installation. Control Panel, Programs, right click on Office, choose repair. It solved my issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-06-19T23:37:36+00:00

    hooray this worked for me! it randomly started doing this and was very frustrating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-06-12T20:16:43+00:00

    Hi, all. I had the same issue and this fixed it for me (from https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/b48083d5-6da9-4cb8-9118-fedd1d9975f0/excel-2013-pro-wont-open-files-when-double-clicking-the-file?forum=officeitpro, see shell_l_d's post):

    • Control Panel
    • Programs and Features
    • Select "Microsoft Office 2013"
    • Click "Change"
    • "Quick Repair"

    One could also re-install the software (uninstall, reboot, install), but trying this option first is likely get the job done.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  5. Anonymous
    2015-06-05T17:04:36+00:00

    This did not correct the problem and it's getting very annoying!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments