Cannot open files from Windows Explorer

Anonymous
2013-03-07T18:02:54+00:00

In order to open up files in excel 2013 (csv, xlsx, or xls) i must open them directly from within Excel. If I double click a file from Windows Explorer, Excel opens up but does not open the file. No errors. Just a **** excel instance. It looks like I just opened up the application from my start screen.

Other Office 2013 applications work as expected. I.e, I can open up a docx from Windows Explorer just fine.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-04-01T23:12:52+00:00

    I'm having the exact same problem. It worked fine for a day or two, but now only opens files from within Excel. I thought my files were corrupt at first and went to look at backups, but when the backups also opened up "blank", I realized there was more to it. 

    I've found numerous threads outside this one with the same problem and have tried a few of the fixes with no success.

    Could this be a upgrade issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-03-14T14:59:00+00:00

    I am getting this problem and it isn't about the file association as the double click does indeed open Excel the problem is that Excel then does nothing. You can open files form inside Excel but not in any other fashion.

    This is substandard, frustrating and there appears to be no help from Microsoft on the issue. All knowledge base articles are out of date or do not answer the specific question.

    I really wish I hadn't bothered upgrading from 2007.

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-03-09T15:26:09+00:00

    Hi,

    First try my advice again

    Second, try to Repair Offic.

    HTH

    JY Tfelt

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-03-07T19:55:47+00:00

    The files are correctly associated with Excel, just double checked that.

    I agree with the csv statement.  And mine by default open up in notepad++.  If i right click the .csv and tell it to open up with Execl the same thing happens - well nothing happens that is.

    The View tab in the ribbon is almost totally grayed out.  The only menu option i can click on is "Macros".

    It really feels like all opening up a file from Windows Explorer does is launch Excel 2013, but not load the file.

    Scott

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-03-07T18:35:28+00:00

    Hi,

    Either the file is open but the "opened window is outside your screen view

    solve with with view, arrange window

    Or the file association with excel is incorrect

    Solve it by, from the file explorer, right click the file, select Open With, Select Excel Program and also thick the box "always use this program to open"

    Do this for all possible file types you want, eg xls xlsx xlsm xlst

    IMHO do not associate csv file with Excel if you have any dates contained int that TEXT file

    (csv file are only text files with a different file extension but are ONLY text files)

    Regards

    JY

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments