Cannot open files from Windows Explorer

Anonymous
2013-03-07T18:02:54+00:00

In order to open up files in excel 2013 (csv, xlsx, or xls) i must open them directly from within Excel. If I double click a file from Windows Explorer, Excel opens up but does not open the file. No errors. Just a **** excel instance. It looks like I just opened up the application from my start screen.

Other Office 2013 applications work as expected. I.e, I can open up a docx from Windows Explorer just fine.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-01-05T15:09:29+00:00

    This problem was solved for me by uninstalling/reinstalling MS Office.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-01-04T19:11:27+00:00

    This is not the problem, I tried the "open with" option and it asks if I want to keep using Excel.

    Anyone know of an actual fix for this issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-12-10T02:15:40+00:00

    This was the ticket to fix my issue. Many thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-12-03T19:40:27+00:00

    Thank you, thank you, thank you.  This was driving me crazy and no one could figure how to fix it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-10-17T01:26:12+00:00

    This worked for me.  Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments