Powerpoint 2013 unstable

Anonymous
2013-04-05T11:20:57+00:00

When I add another chart onto the powerpoint slide after I try to save it comes up with the message we can't save because the file is read-only (it's not) and it tells me to save it under a different name or to a different place. However, when i try to save it under a different name/different place i get the error message we're sorry, something went wrong that might make powerpoint unstable. Please save your presentation and restart powerpoint. I can't save the presentation because of the previous problem.

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-08-06T06:59:19+00:00

    MS please respond to this thread.. This is a pretty big issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Steve Rindsberg 99,176 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-08-06T15:41:31+00:00

    VERY nice detective work.  

    I will see that this gets reported to MS.  Meanwhile, I'm afraid the only workaround is "Don't Do That".

    Or use one of the available resizing add-ins that allows choosing custom sizes and resize to something that's 16:9 proportions but whose width doesn't exceed the 56" limit.

    My own PPTools Resize add-in allows custom sizes like this.

    The free demo will let you test this on small presentations (5 slides or so):

    http://www.pptools.com/resize/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-19T14:49:51+00:00

    I believe I found the fix. I uninstalled Dropbox and the issue was resolved!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-11-13T09:32:54+00:00

    the same message ("We're sorry, something went wrong that might make PowerPoint unstable.  Please save your presentation and restart PowerPoint.") after Excel linked files crash. Fortunately my Power Point was not in the read-only mode so I just break links to Excel and save my presentation successfully.

    Another question - I lost dozens refreshable charts and got static ones and this is great problem too - as you know you can't easily definite which link belongs to each of chart (like in the screenshot) and begins guessing

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-12-02T22:32:30+00:00

    Hello everyone! I think I found a solution to this problem.

    I have this issue every time I download a powerpoint from my chemistry teacher's page. What I did was save the powerpoint as a "Powerpoint Picture Presentation" and I renamed it. Once you click save, a few seconds later, a little box should pop up saying that a copy of your presentation has been saved in wherever you saved it. If you do all your editing on the copy powerpoint, you should no longer have this problem. The only downside to this is that anything you wrote (using ink tools) outside of the actual powerpoint slide will be lost; however, everything written in each slide will be saved in that copy of the original powerpoint.

    P.S: Sorry, I don't know if everyone can do this, but hope it helps!

    olados

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments