A family of Microsoft presentation graphics products that offer tools for creating presentations and adding graphic effects like multimedia objects and special effects with text.
Today's theory, and I think this is very close if not the actual issue:
In Office 2010, I always saw a message at the bottom of the window when Office was auto-saving in the back ground. When that message appeared, I would never try to do something important like save my own copy because it wouldn't work. I don't think it would cause a file corruption, though.
In Office 2013, I am not seeing that auto-save message (in Ppt or in Word, probably not in Excel either but I haven't noticed yet.)
My theory is that when we happen to save at the same time Office is auto-saving a temp back-up file, the new Office 2013 mode is "oh, suddenly this is a read-only file and you can't save it unless you call it sthg else or save it somewhere else" and then when I have saved my work that way, I then get two fragmented files with the earlier version showing broken images & text that are different from the newer version broken images & text. When I first encountered this I spent even more time trying to reconcile the changes I had made & still needed. Twice the amount of time plus the stress time.
Now, instead of following the "save as sthg else" advice (to much better results):
I close the file without saving, close out of the entire program, get up & walk away from the computer, take some deep breaths, get some water, and come back to open my latest-saved version of the file (with no problem and no loss of work, and keep working hoping I won't save at the same time Office is doing a back-up. One tip that seems to work: wait until you see a delay in response from the program (that's probably when the auto-save is happening). Then wait a minute and make your own save. So far, so good.
So, Microsoft team, two requests:
- How can I turn on that auto-save message? I used to find it somewhat annoying, but if my theory is correct - I really need it now. I've looked in the file Options and see other controls but not this one.
- The Backstage takes a millisecond or two (or more) extra time in any Alt-S and I realize it can be turned off, but please make sure this is also not getting in the way of the background auto-save.
Still waiting for a response from MS team, please!