Powerpoint 2013 unstable

Anonymous
2013-04-05T11:20:57+00:00

When I add another chart onto the powerpoint slide after I try to save it comes up with the message we can't save because the file is read-only (it's not) and it tells me to save it under a different name or to a different place. However, when i try to save it under a different name/different place i get the error message we're sorry, something went wrong that might make powerpoint unstable. Please save your presentation and restart powerpoint. I can't save the presentation because of the previous problem.

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-10-21T10:14:26+00:00

    Your issues is not related to what's been discussed her. Sometimes problems related to all Office applications is correct by repair installation. Try the same and check.

    Also, create your query in respective forum.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-07T18:51:23+00:00

    I had the same issue with PowerPoint 2013, and I think the culprit is MS Upload Center which is used to sync the offline files in the background. So this is what I did:

    1. Go to Task Manager by doing taskmgr in Windows icon -> search box
    2. In "Process" tab, look for MSOSYNC and kill the process
    3. In PowerPoint, go to "File" and select "Options". Under "Save", and in "Save checked-out files to", tick the box "The server drafts location on this computer" instead of "The Office Document Cache". Then OK.
    4. Restart PowerPoint and you can save it without that intermittent read-only message
    5. To ensure that the MSOSYNC is not started automatically on reboot, then go to "Services" by typing services.msc in Windows icon -> search box. And in that window, locate "Offline Files" and right click, and select "Properties". From there, select change "Start-up type" to "Manual"

    Hope this helps everyone.

    It works for me :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-13T00:13:32+00:00

    Dear Microsoft,

    I got this same error when I try to save my Powerpoint presentation. This has NEVER happened before in any version of Office I have used. This is a very disturbing error because if there is no way I can save the file, I can waste a lot of time for NOTHING. I hope future updates will address this issue and I should NEVER see this message again. It makes me want to smash my computer. My ultimate concern nowadays is, software companies seem to forget the fact that many people use computer for productivity purpose and it seems that all companies have gone towards redundant decorations. Adding fancy features that encumber core features is not something end-users enjoy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-03T10:44:03+00:00

    What's the status of this, I have some user that are experiencing this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-01-03T13:06:48+00:00

    Don't worry - my solution was to deinstall 2013 and go back to 2010.  So long, $150.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments