Powerpoint 2013 unstable

Anonymous
2013-04-05T11:20:57+00:00

When I add another chart onto the powerpoint slide after I try to save it comes up with the message we can't save because the file is read-only (it's not) and it tells me to save it under a different name or to a different place. However, when i try to save it under a different name/different place i get the error message we're sorry, something went wrong that might make powerpoint unstable. Please save your presentation and restart powerpoint. I can't save the presentation because of the previous problem.

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-04-06T09:06:21+00:00

    No problem, I just wanted to be sure we were thinking of the same thing. I often make the same error, mis naming features.

    The Explorer "Preview" pane has caused problems in Word and Excel also. It is one of those subtle, unexpected, interactions that are hard to figure out, ie:

    Excel cannot complete this task with available resources error, Excel 2010

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2655178

    Method 5: Turn off the preview pane in Windows Explorer (Windows 7 only)

    Can’t Delete File – File Open

    If you’ve selected an Office file in Windows Explorer and the preview pane is enabled and displaying the file, the file actually IS open.  Explorer fires off a hidden copy of Word/PPT/Excel to generate the preview.  If that’s the problem, switch to some mode other than Preview or choose a non-office file to see if the problem goes away.

    Word Always Opens Documents In Read-Only Mode / Subscription

     I’m working with documents stored on my local drive, and whenever I double-click on one to open and edit it, Word starts up and presents it in read-only mode.  If I close Word and then immediately double-click the document again, it opens up without the read-only indicator.

    These are documents which are edited every day.  I’m wondering if the fact that they’re stored in a folder which is monitored by a file synchronization application has anything to do with this.

    Secondly, when I bought Office 365 Home Premium online, it appeared that my only option was the monthly plan, which ostensibly is more expensive than the yearly plan.  I don’t see any way to change my account from monthly to yearly.  Am I missing something?

    I find that if you turn the preview pane off it won’t open in “read only” mode.  I use my preview pane all the time.  I was always able to open the document in Word fine in Word2010.  If anyone figures out a solution to this, please post!  This is quite irritating!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-09-21T01:46:04+00:00

    I also had this issue - I copied and pasted each slide into a new blank document and saved after each one to work out which were the offending slides. By doing this I found it was only when I added slides which had .pdfs embedded that I got the unstable error. It seemed like this was because these files had been detected by Windows as coming from another computer. I right clicked on the .pdfs, opened properties and chose 'unblock', however, I still couldn't save the powerpoint after inserting these new, 'unblocked' files (I also found that another .pdf, which had been made on my PC, also created the same powerpoint error). Instead, I opened the .pdfs in irfanview, saved them as .png/.jpeg and reinserted those into the powerpoint. I was then able to save the file! This is the most ridiculous, annoying bug. I hope this information helps somebody else and ensures one less PC is thrown from a window.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-09-22T19:15:31+00:00

    Solved it by

    1.) copying all slides in the "broken" presentation, then (while the broken presentation is open)

    2.) create a new Presentation and

    3.) copy all the slides over.

    4.) Save the new presentation

    and voila :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-10-12T03:42:26+00:00

    I have a similar issue to the one reported here. Sometimes my powerpoint 2016 file becomes "corrupted" and I am unable to save, it looks like it saved but it doesnt. When I try to click save again, the file turns to Read-Only and warns me that I cant save because it is a ReadOnly file. Even if I try saving with another name, to another location (local or network regardless) it doesnt let me.

    I found out the the problem is precisely with a chart I have in a certain slide. Even though I dont have any link to any external excel file. But whenever I use the charts option to FILTER the chart series (ie to show only some points in the chart) the file is unable to be saved. If i remove the filter then it allows me to save the file. This is a bug and needs to be corrected.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-09-25T22:34:51+00:00

    Hey guys! I found a work around which is a bit of a pain but does the job of keeping all your work.

    I created a new document just to see if I could save that one, and I could. So I went back to the document which wouldn't save and copied all the slides from the left sidebar. In the new document you can paste them in the left side bar and save.

    Hope this helps

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments