Powerpoint 2013 unstable

Anonymous
2013-04-05T11:20:57+00:00

When I add another chart onto the powerpoint slide after I try to save it comes up with the message we can't save because the file is read-only (it's not) and it tells me to save it under a different name or to a different place. However, when i try to save it under a different name/different place i get the error message we're sorry, something went wrong that might make powerpoint unstable. Please save your presentation and restart powerpoint. I can't save the presentation because of the previous problem.

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-04-06T08:20:10+00:00

    Aye, preview pane. Thats the one. I was typing the above in a bit of a hurry, sorry for the terminology :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-04-05T17:43:13+00:00

    Hi Mike:

    You said you are using Office 2013. What version(s) of Windows?

    Exactly what feature are you calling "quick view". In Win 10, is that the feature controlled by View tab > Panes group > "Preview pane" command? Or something else.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-04-05T10:26:37+00:00

    Well, it turned out to be Windows Explorer 'quick view' that was causing the problem for us. I've now disabled that feature in lieu of everyone I've spoken to at Microsoft so far being completely useless. (Windows support saying its an Office problem, Office support saying its a windows problem, both telling me to try 'repairing office'. 1 that doesn't work anyway, 2 thats not a suitable fix for an estate of about 800 computers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-04-05T10:11:18+00:00

    This was supposed to be fixed in an update. I know there are some people who say it didn't work for them but the first step would be to ensure you are completely up to date.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-04-04T19:15:53+00:00

    I have this same error when I try to save after doing a lot of inking in PowerPoint 2013. The file was stored in Dropbox, then I copied it to my local drive. I was editing the local copy (no one else was using it), and was able to save several times. Later, after a lot more inking, I try to save, and I get the error about it being unstable, and that I should save and restart Powerpoint. But if I try to save, I get the error again. I tried "save as" to save it to a new filename (again on my local drive), but I get the same error.

    I can save as a .ppt instead of .pptx, but then some formatting, etc., is lost.

    This is not just a minor inconvenience -- it represents a lot of work that is lost. I have found PowerPoint 2013 to be generally unstable, sometimes crashing every 15-20 minutes while creating a presentation. It has not crashed while showing a presentation.

    I am using a Surface Pro.

    I am using a Surface Pro, also and am having the same issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments