Powerpoint 2013 unstable

Anonymous
2013-04-05T11:20:57+00:00

When I add another chart onto the powerpoint slide after I try to save it comes up with the message we can't save because the file is read-only (it's not) and it tells me to save it under a different name or to a different place. However, when i try to save it under a different name/different place i get the error message we're sorry, something went wrong that might make powerpoint unstable. Please save your presentation and restart powerpoint. I can't save the presentation because of the previous problem.

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-04-04T19:15:53+00:00

    I have this same error when I try to save after doing a lot of inking in PowerPoint 2013. The file was stored in Dropbox, then I copied it to my local drive. I was editing the local copy (no one else was using it), and was able to save several times. Later, after a lot more inking, I try to save, and I get the error about it being unstable, and that I should save and restart Powerpoint. But if I try to save, I get the error again. I tried "save as" to save it to a new filename (again on my local drive), but I get the same error.

    I can save as a .ppt instead of .pptx, but then some formatting, etc., is lost.

    This is not just a minor inconvenience -- it represents a lot of work that is lost. I have found PowerPoint 2013 to be generally unstable, sometimes crashing every 15-20 minutes while creating a presentation. It has not crashed while showing a presentation.

    I am using a Surface Pro.

    I am using a Surface Pro, also and am having the same issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-27T12:06:27+00:00

    I have a number of users on my network with the same issue. My investigations last week determined the following...

    • Brand new powerpoint docs save just fine
    • If you open an existing document at first login and try to edit and 'save' this problem occurs. Save 'as' is fine.
    • Closing PowerPoint, then reopening seems to clear this problem (workaround, albeit not a solution). It seems when PowerPoint is closed the process remains running for a short time. Opening an existing slideshow at this time, editing and saving is successful. If PowerPoint is closed for a substantial length of time however the process stops and we revert to the above whereby first-launch of the app causes the 'unstable' message.
    • The problem follows the same users from laptop (with local profiles and app data) to desktop (with roaming profiles and app data) which really confuses me as otherwise I would have simply been looking at deleting roaming profs'.

    All my computers have the same 32-bit version of MS Office 2013 (on both 32 and 64 bit client OS'). The problem occurs for the same users on both 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows, even completely new builds.

    Other workarounds suggested on (such as disabling MSOSYNC, etc) which were tried before discovering the above, only 'appeared' to work at first for me because the actions were taken after closing PowerPoint which clears the problem for a time.

    Still.. ultimately i do not have a solution and if anyone has found one, it would be greatly received.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-26T14:54:06+00:00

    I have found another workaround for this issue that should not work but it does for me.  If the "Something went wrong" error is due to the preview pane being opened in Windows Explorer, a quicker and easier workaround is simple to double click on the file you have open from within Windows Explorer.  As the file is already open it will not reopen it or revert changes - it simply moves focus to the PowerPoint file with an error.  If you now press "Save", it saves without an error.

    That's crazy. Thanks for posting!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-26T09:17:12+00:00

    Thanks Sander - this was the issue for me.

    Workaround when issue occurs:

    Use "save as.."

    I have found another workaround for this issue that should not work but it does for me.  If the "Something went wrong" error is due to the preview pane being opened in Windows Explorer, a quicker and easier workaround is simple to double click on the file you have open from within Windows Explorer.  As the file is already open it will not reopen it or revert changes - it simply moves focus to the PowerPoint file with an error.  If you now press "Save", it saves without an error.

    Very weird

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-10-20T21:15:34+00:00

    this isn't (just) a problem because of saving on a shared drive.  It happens ALL OF THE TIME.  It can be pasting a image.  It can be adding a couple of bullet points.  It's a complete PAIN IN THE BUTT.  Microsoft, why hasn't this been fixed via an update???????

    For those of you that have this happen, I have found a workaround that will at least let you save your slides.  Open up another deck that has the same background formatting that you are using.  Copy/Paste the new slides into it, then you should be able to save again (be careful to rename!).  I basically have to do this several times a day.  Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments