Powerpoint 2013 unstable

Anonymous
2013-04-05T11:20:57+00:00

When I add another chart onto the powerpoint slide after I try to save it comes up with the message we can't save because the file is read-only (it's not) and it tells me to save it under a different name or to a different place. However, when i try to save it under a different name/different place i get the error message we're sorry, something went wrong that might make powerpoint unstable. Please save your presentation and restart powerpoint. I can't save the presentation because of the previous problem.

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-10-07T13:43:07+00:00

    Has anyone else been able to get a fix for this to work consistently? We are having this problems with all the Surface Pro's that we are currently rolling out. Powerpoint (and other office apps) are all giving this error seemingly as random.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-09-21T23:03:44+00:00

    Hi there Daniel,

    I have the same problem.

    I open a new powerpoint, and add images and  save it to the files on my computer and add images and then it will not save. it tells me that Powerpoint has become unstable. At that point I cannot save my work.

    The images I am adding are from other powerpoints saved on the computer in a an earlier version of powerpoint.

    thanks!

    Martyn

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2015-04-20T09:09:33+00:00

    Found another cause of this problem, it has to do with the preview functionality in Windows Explorer.

    Steps to recreate the problem:

    • Make a PPT(x) file (can be an empty one)
    • Open it in PowerPoint, save it
    • Open the location in Windows Explorer, turn on the Preview Pane
    • Click the powerpoint file we have open to generate a preview
    • Now try to save the file in Powerpoint again, you get the error "Sorry, something went wrong..."

    Workaround;

    Disable preview pane

    Workaround when issue occurs:

    Use "save as.."

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-01-30T20:18:24+00:00

    There is something wrong with file permissions possibly.  I have a SSD drive for my operating system and moved all the folders (downloads, documents, etc.) to a secondary hard drive.

    If I download a PPT or PPTX from Internet and try to open I get the error message ("We're sorry, something went wrong that might make PowerPoint unstable.  Please save your presentation and restart PowerPoint.").

    If I copy and paste the presentation in the same directory and open the copy, everything works fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments