Powerpoint 2013 unstable

Anonymous
2013-04-05T11:20:57+00:00

When I add another chart onto the powerpoint slide after I try to save it comes up with the message we can't save because the file is read-only (it's not) and it tells me to save it under a different name or to a different place. However, when i try to save it under a different name/different place i get the error message we're sorry, something went wrong that might make powerpoint unstable. Please save your presentation and restart powerpoint. I can't save the presentation because of the previous problem.

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-05-07T18:44:08+00:00

    I have this same error when I try to save after doing a lot of inking in PowerPoint 2013. The file was stored in Dropbox, then I copied it to my local drive. I was editing the local copy (no one else was using it), and was able to save several times. Later, after a lot more inking, I try to save, and I get the error about it being unstable, and that I should save and restart Powerpoint. But if I try to save, I get the error again. I tried "save as" to save it to a new filename (again on my local drive), but I get the same error.

    I can save as a .ppt instead of .pptx, but then some formatting, etc., is lost.

    This is not just a minor inconvenience -- it represents a lot of work that is lost. I have found PowerPoint 2013 to be generally unstable, sometimes crashing every 15-20 minutes while creating a presentation. It has not crashed while showing a presentation.

    I am using a Surface Pro.

    Was this answer helpful?

    200+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-10-20T20:12:58+00:00

    I'm with you.  Not only PowerPoint is a problem.  Excel 2013's filter function is not working (at least not easily).  Outlook 2013 - about every week or so - won't let me delete an e-mail but makes me do a repair of my PST file.   Very bad job by Microsoft.  Plus I have Office 365 and the site support is abysmal.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-09-25T22:34:51+00:00

    Hey guys! I found a work around which is a bit of a pain but does the job of keeping all your work.

    I created a new document just to see if I could save that one, and I could. So I went back to the document which wouldn't save and copied all the slides from the left sidebar. In the new document you can paste them in the left side bar and save.

    Hope this helps

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-04-06T09:06:21+00:00

    No problem, I just wanted to be sure we were thinking of the same thing. I often make the same error, mis naming features.

    The Explorer "Preview" pane has caused problems in Word and Excel also. It is one of those subtle, unexpected, interactions that are hard to figure out, ie:

    Excel cannot complete this task with available resources error, Excel 2010

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2655178

    Method 5: Turn off the preview pane in Windows Explorer (Windows 7 only)

    Can’t Delete File – File Open

    If you’ve selected an Office file in Windows Explorer and the preview pane is enabled and displaying the file, the file actually IS open.  Explorer fires off a hidden copy of Word/PPT/Excel to generate the preview.  If that’s the problem, switch to some mode other than Preview or choose a non-office file to see if the problem goes away.

    Word Always Opens Documents In Read-Only Mode / Subscription

     I’m working with documents stored on my local drive, and whenever I double-click on one to open and edit it, Word starts up and presents it in read-only mode.  If I close Word and then immediately double-click the document again, it opens up without the read-only indicator.

    These are documents which are edited every day.  I’m wondering if the fact that they’re stored in a folder which is monitored by a file synchronization application has anything to do with this.

    Secondly, when I bought Office 365 Home Premium online, it appeared that my only option was the monthly plan, which ostensibly is more expensive than the yearly plan.  I don’t see any way to change my account from monthly to yearly.  Am I missing something?

    I find that if you turn the preview pane off it won’t open in “read only” mode.  I use my preview pane all the time.  I was always able to open the document in Word fine in Word2010.  If anyone figures out a solution to this, please post!  This is quite irritating!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-01-30T20:56:00+00:00

    I have experienced the same problem: download a PPTX from the internet (even from one's own website) and when you try to open it PowerPoint gives a message about file problem. Attemps to repair the file will fail.

    The cause is that the system is trying too hard to protect you from the "evil" download.

    The solution: in File Explorer right click on the file, open the Properties, click the Unblock button.

    Now PowerPoint will open the file

    It is odd that the same file (before the unblock) can be transferred to a nother computer and opened with no problem.

    best wishes

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments