Word 2010 Multilevel list - Numbers disappear

Anonymous
2013-02-18T18:03:37+00:00

I am using Word 2010 with Windows 7.

I have an 82 page document that has headings numbered with a multilevel list.  I use a defined styles for each level and have used outline functions to assign levels to each heading.  Once the style is set and levels assigned I have used the multilevel list to give each a number.  In numerous heading levels I had to set the number using the 'set numbering value'.

Once I completed the entire file I created a .pdf of the file and saved the file.  I also restricted the styles to just those used in the document.

When I open the file about half of the numbers are gone.

This has happened twice.

I really need help!

thanks.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-02-04T00:02:13+00:00

    A first look at your example files doesn't reveal an obvious problem...

    When the problem occurs, what does the document look like in Print Preview (File | Print or Ctrl+F2)?

    I wish it were something obvious!

    Print preview looks the same (no numbers displayed in Print Preview where they appear missing in the doc). The ToC maintains the numbering until the whole table is updated (not just the page numbers). If I put the cursor in a numbered line, then click the Multilevel list dropdown, the area where the numbers should be is gray, as if it still recognizes that something should be there, but nothing is displayed.

    As soon as I hit "OK" in the Format-Numbering dialog (from within the Modify multilevel list dialog), the missing numbers magically reappear.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-02-04T00:10:16+00:00

    Sorry, I should have clarified that I have only looked at the template so far. I'll save the document for later.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-02-05T20:19:52+00:00

    Thanks much.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-02-09T15:01:09+00:00

    I have now looked at your example document and I can reproduce what you described. The level 1 number is missing and simply visiting the multilevel list dialog box, confirming the settings with OK, brings the numbering back.

    As a long-term solution, I recommend that you recreate the numbering in the document template.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-02-10T15:43:51+00:00

    Yes, this seems to happen each time the numbering breaks, but don't know what causes it. 

    Do you think recreating the numbering is likely to solve the issues, or that it will continue to happen even after recreating it? This is what I'm afraid of, since I still don't know why this happens.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments