A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
You can make the file public on SkyDrive and post a link here.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I am using Word 2010 with Windows 7.
I have an 82 page document that has headings numbered with a multilevel list. I use a defined styles for each level and have used outline functions to assign levels to each heading. Once the style is set and levels assigned I have used the multilevel list to give each a number. In numerous heading levels I had to set the number using the 'set numbering value'.
Once I completed the entire file I created a .pdf of the file and saved the file. I also restricted the styles to just those used in the document.
When I open the file about half of the numbers are gone.
This has happened twice.
I really need help!
thanks.
A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
You can make the file public on SkyDrive and post a link here.
Thanks. Here are two files:
Broken Lease: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=6AD96FAB0CC05B37%21107
(only the first level of numbering broke on this doc, though often it's all of them)
Template: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=6AD96FAB0CC05B37%21108
It's possible that the documents are being opened on a computer where the user has the option set for "Automatically update document styles" which is causing the styles that you have defined with the corresponding style from the user's Normal.dotm template.
You can easily re-instate the numbering by clicking on the Document Template button in the Templates section of the Developer tab of the ribbon and then select your Lease template.dotx as the template to be attached and temporarily check the box for "Automatically update document styles" You should not however leave that box checked.
I'm checking with the primary person who does editing on these to see, but I don't expect that is the (at least, the only) problem. I've had the numbering break on files I created and am the only one working on, and that setting has always been unchecked on my computer.
I have a quick fix for it - modify the list style, open format - numbering, and click okay w/o making any changes - this brings all the numbers back without having to re-locate the template; however, this is happening enough that I need a way to prevent it from happening, not just fix it.
This is what I find most odd - I don't need to change anything to bring the numbers back - almost like I just need to remind Word that I do actually have numbers set via the multilevel list style. The style is selected in the document, just the numbers cease to be applied to it.
After 8 months or so, it's driving me a bit crazy - the system works perfectly otherwise, but not being able to stop this from happening is a problem, as these files get sent out electronically so often.
Thanks again for your ideas, and any further thoughts! I really appreciate it.
A first look at your example files doesn't reveal an obvious problem...
When the problem occurs, what does the document look like in Print Preview (File | Print or Ctrl+F2)?