A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Thanks to everyone. I continue to try to find solutions to these problems but it is clear to me that MS Word's multi-level numbering is not ready for prime time. If I select text and format a multi-level list it should remain formatted but it does not.
What makes matters worse is that I am often working from legacy documents (some go back over 10 years) and so they have embedded Word and WordPerfect codes from old versions that are impossible to find and delete (I still long for the old 'reveal codes' command from WordPerfect). I am usually left with the prospect of converting the entire file to ASCII text and then reformatting pages of text.
I am waiting to find a word processor that will really work well with multi-level numbering.
Thanks again for all your help.