Word 2010 Multilevel list - Numbers disappear

Anonymous
2013-02-18T18:03:37+00:00

I am using Word 2010 with Windows 7.

I have an 82 page document that has headings numbered with a multilevel list.  I use a defined styles for each level and have used outline functions to assign levels to each heading.  Once the style is set and levels assigned I have used the multilevel list to give each a number.  In numerous heading levels I had to set the number using the 'set numbering value'.

Once I completed the entire file I created a .pdf of the file and saved the file.  I also restricted the styles to just those used in the document.

When I open the file about half of the numbers are gone.

This has happened twice.

I really need help!

thanks.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2013-02-19T00:01:38+00:00

    Make sure that "Automatically update document styles" is cleared in the Templates and Add-Ins dialog box.

    To display the dialog box: Click the Document Template button on the Developer tab. If you can't see the Developer tab, click to select it at File tab | Options | Customize Ribbon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2013-02-18T23:32:22+00:00

    Best to set up the numbering in the template rather than a document.  Then the styles\numbering scheme will be available to all documents created from the template.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-18T23:09:51+00:00

    Thanks Stefan:

    I went back and restarted the list as you recommended.  This did eliminate the problem of having to manually set the number at various places (once I removed the traces of the old settings). Once I got the numbering fixed I went back in to outline mode and set the levels.  Everything looked great...so I saved the file and closed it. When I reopened the file all the numbering was gone.  The styles remain and the assigned levels remain but no numbers remain anywhere in the document.

    I did define a multilevel list and associated each level to a style (set by my client in this case).

    I am at a loss again....

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2013-02-18T20:07:26+00:00

    The fact that you have to restart numbering manually suggests that it isn't correctly set up. Place the insertion point in the first Heading 1 and then click Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List. For more, see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments