Word 2010 Multilevel list - Numbers disappear

Anonymous
2013-02-18T18:03:37+00:00

I am using Word 2010 with Windows 7.

I have an 82 page document that has headings numbered with a multilevel list.  I use a defined styles for each level and have used outline functions to assign levels to each heading.  Once the style is set and levels assigned I have used the multilevel list to give each a number.  In numerous heading levels I had to set the number using the 'set numbering value'.

Once I completed the entire file I created a .pdf of the file and saved the file.  I also restricted the styles to just those used in the document.

When I open the file about half of the numbers are gone.

This has happened twice.

I really need help!

thanks.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-03-13T16:02:40+00:00

    Thank you! This is clearly a bug within Word 2010. Of the fix options presented in this thread, yours both 1) works consistently and 2) can be reduced to a set of instructions that can easily be given to end users.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-02-26T18:31:06+00:00

    Did you have track changes on? I encountered the same problem as you today. The problem stopped happening when I turned off track changes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-12-21T13:56:02+00:00

    If you are saying that deleting one paragraph mark deletes all numbered paragraphs, then your document must certainly be corrupt.

    Losing a paragraph number for a single numbered paragraph can be fixed with Ctrl+Q, assuming that numbering has been correctly defined with a paragraph styles attached to each numbering level. See http://shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html for assistance.

    Note that there isn't a general problem with copying styles through the Organizer; the problem I was referring to is with copying numbered styles, and it is well-documented, especially in the old Microsoft newsgroups. Of course, chances are that the bug has been fixed so that copying numbered styles now works flawlessly. If so, that is great.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-20T19:47:16+00:00

    Actually, this is a poor advice, since after having done all this work, you will be faced with the same problem again. The bug in Word 2010 is that when two headings of different Levels follow, e.g. 3.4 followed by 3.4.1, when deleting the 3.4 Header, all Heading3 of the document lose numbering.

    One cannot reapply the Heading3 style because it is the root style "Heading3" that has been modified, although the Option "Automatically Update Styles" is disabled on all headings. It is tedious to renumber the headings correctly, this was fine until Office 95, but since then every Office Version made it more difficult to configure. The root of the Office 2010 bug seems to lie in a paradigm shift in the way the paragraph styles are inherited when the end of paragraph sign (inverse P) is deleted: formely, the text of the paragraph whose end of paragraph sign was deleted received the style of the following paragraph, which was logical. In Office 2010, the following paragraph receives the style of the deleted end-of-paragraph sign, which is illogical. Actually, the method that I propose works correctly while the one you propose asks the user to do an unnecessary work. And no, I did not find that copying styles with the Organizer had any bug until now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-12-18T20:22:02+00:00

    Actually, if you are having problems with numbering, copying individual styles may not be the solution (for the reason that copying numbered styles has been unreliable in several versions). Instead, create a new document from a good (corruption-free) template and then import the existing text via the Insert File dialog box (on the Insert tab, click the arrow on the Object button, and then click Text from File).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments