Excel cell turns black whilst entering data

Anonymous
2013-01-15T11:11:35+00:00

Hi,

There's a document that's used by some people in the office and whenever they try to enter data into it the cell turns black while they're doing it and they can't see what they've typed until they click off it. These documents are something to do with Sage and not something they've created and if they make a new sheet within them they can edit cells without issue. I'm sure it's just some setting somewhere but could someone please enlighten me as to what it might be?

Thanks

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-01-29T09:34:06+00:00

    Hi, thanks for the help. I've not visited the client again until today and I had a brainwave this morning. I couldn't change the formatting because she had filled in a lot of the cells manually and changing the font from black to white wouldn't help because the cells are white most of the time, it's only when they're being edited that they are unreadable.

    Anyway, all I did was to right click the individual sheets in the document and then "Move or Copy..." and copy them to a new workbook. It removed the black background thing and left everything else intact.

    Thanks again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-09-28T18:48:51+00:00

    When I enter data into my excel finance sheet the complete row turn black.

    I change the input numbers each month to keep a running total, this is the first time this has happen.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-09-28T22:07:56+00:00

    I just started having this problem today also.  Not sure why.  Maybe an update bug?

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-09-29T11:58:20+00:00

    Yes just noticed this same problem on both our computers in the office today. Maybe going to try undoing the last update

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-09-29T13:44:37+00:00

    Ours started doing the same thing yesterday. At first I thought it was something with just my computer, but now others are having the same issue. Not sure what is going on, but I do know its getting pretty annoying. 

    *UPDATE* I called to check with our IT guy and we tested it using different versions of Excel. Excel 2016 is having this problem on most every excel document, however when the same document is opened using Excel 2013 there is no issues at all. Looks like this is only affecting Excel 2016.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments