Excel cell turns black whilst entering data

Anonymous
2013-01-15T11:11:35+00:00

Hi,

There's a document that's used by some people in the office and whenever they try to enter data into it the cell turns black while they're doing it and they can't see what they've typed until they click off it. These documents are something to do with Sage and not something they've created and if they make a new sheet within them they can edit cells without issue. I'm sure it's just some setting somewhere but could someone please enlighten me as to what it might be?

Thanks

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-09-28T18:48:51+00:00

    When I enter data into my excel finance sheet the complete row turn black.

    I change the input numbers each month to keep a running total, this is the first time this has happen.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-01-29T09:34:06+00:00

    Hi, thanks for the help. I've not visited the client again until today and I had a brainwave this morning. I couldn't change the formatting because she had filled in a lot of the cells manually and changing the font from black to white wouldn't help because the cells are white most of the time, it's only when they're being edited that they are unreadable.

    Anyway, all I did was to right click the individual sheets in the document and then "Move or Copy..." and copy them to a new workbook. It removed the black background thing and left everything else intact.

    Thanks again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-01-28T09:01:19+00:00

    Is there some way I can edit the Excel file to just use white instead of black for the 'Automatic' colour?

    Select entire sheet and go to format/cells and there try to change the color of font from black to white, also try to change the color of fill.

    Did you try it or there is no option to change the font/fill color while working in this file.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-01-15T16:25:52+00:00

    Thanks but it's a regular xlsx. I've been talking to her a bit more and it sounds like she created the spreadsheet herself years ago and it just keeps on getting changed and changed again. I think if I can change the 'Automatic' colour then they will be able to use it just fine. I'm assuming that the problem has cascaded down to the users as they've each got some version of that original file.

    Is there some way I can edit the Excel file to just use white instead of black for the 'Automatic' colour?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-01-15T14:14:56+00:00

    Hi,

    if your workbook is with extension .xlsm (macros enabled)

    then, look for a code.

    Right click on sheet tab, select View Code

    and  check if there is something like...Private Sub....

    or

    in existing window...

    take a look, on the left side

    find... ThisWorkbook

    double click on this...

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments