Excel cell turns black whilst entering data

Anonymous
2013-01-15T11:11:35+00:00

Hi,

There's a document that's used by some people in the office and whenever they try to enter data into it the cell turns black while they're doing it and they can't see what they've typed until they click off it. These documents are something to do with Sage and not something they've created and if they make a new sheet within them they can edit cells without issue. I'm sure it's just some setting somewhere but could someone please enlighten me as to what it might be?

Thanks

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-01-15T14:01:36+00:00

    Thanks for the reply, I check the Conditional Formatting and there doesn't seem to be anything. I dd manage to narrow it down to the fact that it seems to be using Automatic for the background pattern colour. It seems that it's only applying this pattern when I'm editing the cell and by changing that pattern colour to white I can fix it on a cell by cell basis but this isn't a suitable fix for the whole sheet because there's hundreds of them and they create new ones each month. Where does Excel get the colour for "Automatic"? I checked to  see if there was a macro setting the colour but there isn't.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-01-15T11:22:09+00:00

    There may be some conditional formatting on this cell/sheet. Go to Condtitonal formatting Tab from Home Tab.

    Click on clear rules/Clear rules from sheet.

    If it doesn't work then try to change the fill and font color from formatting tab.

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments