Excel cell turns black whilst entering data

Anonymous
2013-01-15T11:11:35+00:00

Hi,

There's a document that's used by some people in the office and whenever they try to enter data into it the cell turns black while they're doing it and they can't see what they've typed until they click off it. These documents are something to do with Sage and not something they've created and if they make a new sheet within them they can edit cells without issue. I'm sure it's just some setting somewhere but could someone please enlighten me as to what it might be?

Thanks

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-10-02T16:09:34+00:00

    How to Sort Graphics Cell Bug in Excel 2016

    Turn off hardware Acceleration

    Files > Options > Advanced > Display > Untick Hardware Acceleration> Save

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-10-05T10:33:49+00:00

    Released: October 2, 2017 Version 1708 (Build8431.2094) Part of the release notes mention:

    'Fix an issue where the pattern style of a cell doesn’t render correctly after adding a header or footer in Page Layout view.'

    I am about to install and test.

    EDIT: the Office 2016 Deployment Tool is still downloading Version 16.0.8431.2079. I will try again later today or tomorrow.

    UPDATE 2:16.0.8431.2094 is now downloading via the Office 2016 Deployment Tool. Interesting note is that the date on the release is Oct. 4th, not the 2nd like it was previously.

    UPDATE 3: The cells don't turn black anymore in Page View when there is a header/footer. Thanks MS for fixing the bug.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-09-29T15:11:37+00:00

    I'm also having this same problem.  Just started today.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-01-15T16:25:52+00:00

    Thanks but it's a regular xlsx. I've been talking to her a bit more and it sounds like she created the spreadsheet herself years ago and it just keeps on getting changed and changed again. I think if I can change the 'Automatic' colour then they will be able to use it just fine. I'm assuming that the problem has cascaded down to the users as they've each got some version of that original file.

    Is there some way I can edit the Excel file to just use white instead of black for the 'Automatic' colour?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-01-15T14:14:56+00:00

    Hi,

    if your workbook is with extension .xlsm (macros enabled)

    then, look for a code.

    Right click on sheet tab, select View Code

    and  check if there is something like...Private Sub....

    or

    in existing window...

    take a look, on the left side

    find... ThisWorkbook

    double click on this...

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments