Excel cell turns black whilst entering data

Anonymous
2013-01-15T11:11:35+00:00

Hi,

There's a document that's used by some people in the office and whenever they try to enter data into it the cell turns black while they're doing it and they can't see what they've typed until they click off it. These documents are something to do with Sage and not something they've created and if they make a new sheet within them they can edit cells without issue. I'm sure it's just some setting somewhere but could someone please enlighten me as to what it might be?

Thanks

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-09-29T13:44:37+00:00

    Ours started doing the same thing yesterday. At first I thought it was something with just my computer, but now others are having the same issue. Not sure what is going on, but I do know its getting pretty annoying. 

    *UPDATE* I called to check with our IT guy and we tested it using different versions of Excel. Excel 2016 is having this problem on most every excel document, however when the same document is opened using Excel 2013 there is no issues at all. Looks like this is only affecting Excel 2016.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-01-15T14:01:36+00:00

    Thanks for the reply, I check the Conditional Formatting and there doesn't seem to be anything. I dd manage to narrow it down to the fact that it seems to be using Automatic for the background pattern colour. It seems that it's only applying this pattern when I'm editing the cell and by changing that pattern colour to white I can fix it on a cell by cell basis but this isn't a suitable fix for the whole sheet because there's hundreds of them and they create new ones each month. Where does Excel get the colour for "Automatic"? I checked to  see if there was a macro setting the colour but there isn't.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-09-29T18:46:35+00:00

    Thanks, that works, hope they fix it and it's temporary.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-09-28T22:07:56+00:00

    I just started having this problem today also.  Not sure why.  Maybe an update bug?

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-09-28T18:48:51+00:00

    When I enter data into my excel finance sheet the complete row turn black.

    I change the input numbers each month to keep a running total, this is the first time this has happen.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments