Excel "=SUM" formula does not add up numbers correctly

Anonymous
2013-04-02T16:39:01+00:00

I have an Excel formula issue in the formula not resulting in the correct sum, but it is not a rounding error; rather it is off by an entire cell amount. As an example, I was adding eight cells with the value of $3,001.53 which should have resulted in a total of $24,012.24, but instead I got $21,010.71 (off by one cell value). I triple-checked to make sure that the formula included all cell addresses I was trying to add, which it did. I tried deleting the formula and doing it over again, saving the spread sheet as different versions of Excel, putting the formula in a different cell location, all to no avail. There were other similar errors in the spread sheet. FYI, I am not adding concecutive cells, rather, selecting certain cells using Ctrl, left click.

I'm using Excel 2010 Version 14.1.6129.5000 (32-bit).

Please advise.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-10-05T03:12:27+00:00

    In my experience any numbers that add up to 0 are those that have been formatted as Text in most cases.

    Gord

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-10-05T02:44:45+00:00

    So it seems just incredible that a product this mature cannot even add up basic numbers.  I have a spreadsheet that the some command takes any number of positive integers...or dollar amounts and adds them all up to "0"   Just cannot imagine how flawed a product could possibly be...beyond continuing to crash regularly over a decade after it came out.   How useful is a spreadsheet that cannot add up numbers?

    Was this answer helpful?

    80+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-06-16T09:03:53+00:00

    Ignore that - I found that a few rows were hidden!

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-06-16T08:54:09+00:00

    I've got the same problem using Microsoft Excel 2013.

    I've got a sum(L6:L35) giving me a sum of 84.5, yet, when I select them, the sum at the lower right corner of the status bar gives me 80 and when I add them up manually they add up to 80 as well!

    When I do a sumif, it also thinks the total there is 4.5 more then there really is!

    Was this answer helpful?

    70+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-04-02T23:52:52+00:00

    Hi.  When you select the 8 cells, take a look at the lower right corner of the status bar line.

    What does the 'Count and 'Sum say?

    (I just turned on 'Numerical Count' with Excel 2013.  I honestly don't remember if this was an option in Excel 2010.  I've had Excel 2013 now for only a week  :>~   )

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments