Excel "=SUM" formula does not add up numbers correctly

Anonymous
2013-04-02T16:39:01+00:00

I have an Excel formula issue in the formula not resulting in the correct sum, but it is not a rounding error; rather it is off by an entire cell amount. As an example, I was adding eight cells with the value of $3,001.53 which should have resulted in a total of $24,012.24, but instead I got $21,010.71 (off by one cell value). I triple-checked to make sure that the formula included all cell addresses I was trying to add, which it did. I tried deleting the formula and doing it over again, saving the spread sheet as different versions of Excel, putting the formula in a different cell location, all to no avail. There were other similar errors in the spread sheet. FYI, I am not adding concecutive cells, rather, selecting certain cells using Ctrl, left click.

I'm using Excel 2010 Version 14.1.6129.5000 (32-bit).

Please advise.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-06-29T10:02:01+00:00

    I have the same issue, but I have had these formulas set up for years. All of a sudden today I notice this problem. I use excel extensively for budgetary reason. I appreciate trying to be helpful, but why should I have to change my format to general, and it is definitely not a text.  I'm not the greatest computer lit guy around, but having said the above, can anyone explain this? I was recently forced to accept windows 10, could this be part of the problem? Additionally, I opened a new excel sheet created the formulas and the addition formula works fine. Correctly.  Can anyone tell me how do I save my original sheets and formulas without having to redo everything?  Is that what future changes are going to be like?  I also noticed on my sheet, If I put the cursor on the formula bar up top  without disturbing the formula and hit enter. The sum formula works. I hope this is a glitch on there part and fix this. Anyone know who I can contact about this or what to do? Thank You.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-19T17:08:49+00:00

    "It's happening to me when I copy some cells into a table"  From where are you copying? The problem should not occur if you are coping form another Excel file but who knows what you pick up when you copy from a webpage - could be odd spaces after numbers turning them to text.

    Let's us have the full picture. If possible post files to OneDrive so we can experiment

    best wishes

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-19T17:01:53+00:00

    2007 has the exact same issue/flaw/bug. It's happening to me when I copy some cells into a table. Doing F2 enter on the cells I'm copying from, fixes the problem on future copy and pastes.

    It sure would would be nice if someone from Microsoft was to read this forum and fix it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-03-02T04:13:22+00:00

    Absolutely. This is very worrying. I now have to check all sums or additions very carefully and have no idea how much this flaw in Excel has affected work, except presume that it commenced with 2013 version and onwards

    Once the cell is found it has to be re-entered F2  etc as described by others.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments