Excel "=SUM" formula does not add up numbers correctly

Anonymous
2013-04-02T16:39:01+00:00

I have an Excel formula issue in the formula not resulting in the correct sum, but it is not a rounding error; rather it is off by an entire cell amount. As an example, I was adding eight cells with the value of $3,001.53 which should have resulted in a total of $24,012.24, but instead I got $21,010.71 (off by one cell value). I triple-checked to make sure that the formula included all cell addresses I was trying to add, which it did. I tried deleting the formula and doing it over again, saving the spread sheet as different versions of Excel, putting the formula in a different cell location, all to no avail. There were other similar errors in the spread sheet. FYI, I am not adding concecutive cells, rather, selecting certain cells using Ctrl, left click.

I'm using Excel 2010 Version 14.1.6129.5000 (32-bit).

Please advise.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-08-14T05:48:18+00:00

    Mate, I never knew this feature existed and certainly never changed it from the default to manual. One day a couple of weeks ago, my spreadsheets started to behave differently. First time I have seen this in 30 years of working with spreadsheets. I'm assuming Microsoft made an update to Office 365 and changed the default to manual. No other way it could have happened.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-01T20:42:56+00:00

    I have Microsoft office 365 - Excel is not adding certain cells correctly

    e.g. - say - =sum(i43:i59) = should be £32000 - Excel is adding it as £43000

    Found that it is including cells i63-i72 - tried deleting these - still ads wrongly

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-08T17:43:20+00:00

    Another option, which I've found to be more versatile: the value() function. It can usually be added without much effort, and without side effects.

    example: change from '7' to '=value(7)'

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-13T17:57:34+00:00

    Had this issue and was ready to punch a hole through my monitor. Auto Sum gave me an incorrect total, but if I added manually or manually put the cells into an addition formula they gave me the correct total. I luckily knew which range of cells were suspect, so I made sure to change their formatting from General to Numbers. However, this didn't change anything. I had to re-enter the numbers in the cells and only then did they work in the Auto Sum formula.

    So I guess that even if you change a cells format it can decide not to change the format of what was in there previously?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more