Office 2013 only works in safe mode

Anonymous
2013-03-18T20:37:05+00:00

Hi

I have recently downloaded Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 as part of the on the Home Use Program.

Ever since I installed it (the 64 bit version on windows 7) I have had nothing but trouble and can only use it in 'Safe Mode', I've only tried Word & Excel as these are the only two I need to use. I've had a little look around on the internet and it seems like disabling add ins will help, so to my knowledge all add ins are disabled on the COM add ins bit?

Both Word and Excel crash with the 'Stopped Working' message and they always crash when you close them, but most of the time you just have to wait a minute and they'll crash sometimes when you're not even using them!

Does this sound like a familiar problem can I get my copy of Office 2013 to run in 'Normal Mode'?

Thanks

Nick

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-05-19T12:58:44+00:00

Thank you so much for posting this, i thought i'd never be able to fix the Stopped Working issue. 

Disabling the hardware acceleration worked a treat, much appreciated.

Fix 2: Disable hardware acceleration (This fixed MY problem!)

  1. Run regedit (Win + R ; "regedit")
  2. Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common
  3. Create a New Key and name it "Graphics"
  4. Select Graphics, right-click on the right panel and create a New DWORD (32-bit) Value and name it DisableHardwareAcceleration.

5. Enter Value data as 1

Try to run Excel normally now.

Good luck!

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-17T00:10:11+00:00

    For anyone who has this problem as of April 10th or so 2015. There is a windows update for Microsoft Office (KB2965218) that immediately fixed this problem.

    Albeit, after I spent all afternoon trying to fix this issue from the solutions listed in this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-06-04T21:08:27+00:00

    Fix 2: Disable hardware acceleration (This fixed MY problem!)

    1. Run regedit (Win + R ; "regedit")
    2. Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common
    3. Create a New Key and name it "Graphics"
    4. Select Graphics, right-click on the right panel and create a New DWORD (32-bit) Value and name it DisableHardwareAcceleration.

    5. Enter Value data as 1

    Solved My issue ! No Office 2013 won't open and i did disable all the addins ! Adding this key works ! Really !!!! thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-06-04T21:10:59+00:00

    I updated before i try the registery key and that doesn't work so windows hasn't fix it on my computer with an update... i check twice for new updates ....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-06-22T12:13:41+00:00

    I have another issue and have no idea where it comes from. I have disabled hardware acceleration in my Office 2013 products when I was using Windows 7 x64 Enterprise with IE9. Everything worked fine until one day I have updated to IE11.

    Since the IE11 installation, I have hardware acceleration active in my Office products again. We set the Group Policy to disable this feature, but nothing works any more. I have tried to turn on software rendering in Internet Explorer options, but I am still not successful... Anyone has an idea?

    Thank you very much.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments