Office 2013 only works in safe mode

Anonymous
2013-03-18T20:37:05+00:00

Hi

I have recently downloaded Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 as part of the on the Home Use Program.

Ever since I installed it (the 64 bit version on windows 7) I have had nothing but trouble and can only use it in 'Safe Mode', I've only tried Word & Excel as these are the only two I need to use. I've had a little look around on the internet and it seems like disabling add ins will help, so to my knowledge all add ins are disabled on the COM add ins bit?

Both Word and Excel crash with the 'Stopped Working' message and they always crash when you close them, but most of the time you just have to wait a minute and they'll crash sometimes when you're not even using them!

Does this sound like a familiar problem can I get my copy of Office 2013 to run in 'Normal Mode'?

Thanks

Nick

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-05-19T12:58:44+00:00

Thank you so much for posting this, i thought i'd never be able to fix the Stopped Working issue. 

Disabling the hardware acceleration worked a treat, much appreciated.

Fix 2: Disable hardware acceleration (This fixed MY problem!)

  1. Run regedit (Win + R ; "regedit")
  2. Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common
  3. Create a New Key and name it "Graphics"
  4. Select Graphics, right-click on the right panel and create a New DWORD (32-bit) Value and name it DisableHardwareAcceleration.

5. Enter Value data as 1

Try to run Excel normally now.

Good luck!

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-08-18T09:59:04+00:00

    Win 8.1

    Nothing worked. Tried removing all addons. Reinstalling. Repair installation. Added keys to registry.

    I finally got it working by going to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15 and setting winword.exe, excel.exe and all other exe to run as administrator.

    Now everything is running fast with no errors.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-10-05T15:25:16+00:00

    This fix works for an installation of Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 on Windows 7 Pro upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.

    I have been looking for the fix for weeks and this was the solution.

    Thanks a mil.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-09T05:39:14+00:00

    Thank you!! You saved my life with this post. BTW during my struggling to fix this error I installed Office 2016 trial and it worked, so I presume this is an Office 2013 specific problem. Haven't found any hotfix for this specific problem yet, so I think MS Office Dev Team decided to just drop it and keep 2016 moving forward instead (Shame on you MS Office developers),,, I wonder what other issues were left alone in 2013 that I am about to discover now...

    Thank you again this solved my problem.

    Cheers,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-05-14T06:59:55+00:00

    Awesome! It works!!!   /Excelente si funciona!!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments