Office 2013 only works in safe mode

Anonymous
2013-03-18T20:37:05+00:00

Hi

I have recently downloaded Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 as part of the on the Home Use Program.

Ever since I installed it (the 64 bit version on windows 7) I have had nothing but trouble and can only use it in 'Safe Mode', I've only tried Word & Excel as these are the only two I need to use. I've had a little look around on the internet and it seems like disabling add ins will help, so to my knowledge all add ins are disabled on the COM add ins bit?

Both Word and Excel crash with the 'Stopped Working' message and they always crash when you close them, but most of the time you just have to wait a minute and they'll crash sometimes when you're not even using them!

Does this sound like a familiar problem can I get my copy of Office 2013 to run in 'Normal Mode'?

Thanks

Nick

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-05-19T12:58:44+00:00

Thank you so much for posting this, i thought i'd never be able to fix the Stopped Working issue. 

Disabling the hardware acceleration worked a treat, much appreciated.

Fix 2: Disable hardware acceleration (This fixed MY problem!)

  1. Run regedit (Win + R ; "regedit")
  2. Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common
  3. Create a New Key and name it "Graphics"
  4. Select Graphics, right-click on the right panel and create a New DWORD (32-bit) Value and name it DisableHardwareAcceleration.

5. Enter Value data as 1

Try to run Excel normally now.

Good luck!

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-20T00:26:02+00:00

    Do you think you can help me? I have tried everything and I am stuck, I'll pay at this point. Hope to hear back from you! ******@gmail.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-02-09T15:47:02+00:00

    Note that you can disable hardware graphics acceleration from within an Office application. For example, in Word 2013 you'll find the option in the Advanced category at File tab | Options.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-02-09T15:08:45+00:00

    Excellent guys this one really helped me solve my problem, otherwise i use to get a lot of ****.

    ;)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-16T17:48:22+00:00

    OMG I love you. I think this fixed my problem!!!!!!!!!!! Can't believe I was running it in safe mode all this time, especially after the rip-off prices MS charges. I was able to make more than 2 changes to my file in normal mode and even save it!!!!!!!!

    THANKS :D

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments