Office 2013 only works in safe mode

Anonymous
2013-03-18T20:37:05+00:00

Hi

I have recently downloaded Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 as part of the on the Home Use Program.

Ever since I installed it (the 64 bit version on windows 7) I have had nothing but trouble and can only use it in 'Safe Mode', I've only tried Word & Excel as these are the only two I need to use. I've had a little look around on the internet and it seems like disabling add ins will help, so to my knowledge all add ins are disabled on the COM add ins bit?

Both Word and Excel crash with the 'Stopped Working' message and they always crash when you close them, but most of the time you just have to wait a minute and they'll crash sometimes when you're not even using them!

Does this sound like a familiar problem can I get my copy of Office 2013 to run in 'Normal Mode'?

Thanks

Nick

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-05-19T12:58:44+00:00

Thank you so much for posting this, i thought i'd never be able to fix the Stopped Working issue. 

Disabling the hardware acceleration worked a treat, much appreciated.

Fix 2: Disable hardware acceleration (This fixed MY problem!)

  1. Run regedit (Win + R ; "regedit")
  2. Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common
  3. Create a New Key and name it "Graphics"
  4. Select Graphics, right-click on the right panel and create a New DWORD (32-bit) Value and name it DisableHardwareAcceleration.

5. Enter Value data as 1

Try to run Excel normally now.

Good luck!

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2013-04-03T23:45:37+00:00

    Have you tried disabling the add-ins via File>Options>Add-ins>Manage Com Add-ins>Go?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-03T19:34:40+00:00

    Hi guys.

    The fix that involves 'exporting' the add-ins files from the Registry using regedit worked quite well. I have more stability, but both Word, Excel & OneNote are unstable. Word pretty much always Stops Working once it's shut down and both Word and Excel crash after about a minute in the program, seemingly without any prompting. OneNote pretty much crashes instantly as soon as it's started up.

    Safety Mode works fine, to be honest i could live with them in Safety Mode, doen't seem like i'm missing out on much. Be nice if the programs i paid for worked though, but there's a lot of different factors involved.

    Not sure what else to do now i've removed all add-ins in the Registry, i also removed Skype One Click.

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks

    Nick

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-03T19:34:10+00:00

    Hi guys.

    The fix that involves 'exporting' the add-ins files from the Registry using regedit worked quite well. I have more stability, but both Word, Excel & OneNote are unstable. Word pretty much always Stops Working once it's shut down and both Word and Excel crash after about a minute in the program, seemingly without any prompting. OneNote pretty much crashes instantly as soon as it's started up.

    Safety Mode works fine, to be honest i could live with them in Safety Mode, doen't seem like i'm missing out on much. Be nice if the programs i paid for worked though, but there's a lot of different factors involved.

    Not sure what else to do now i've removed all add-ins in the Registry, i also removed Skype One Click.

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks

    Nick

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-03-29T18:05:16+00:00

    Wow this is a complex problem. I've worked my way through some of these solutions but it takes quite a bit of time.

    The problems still happen in Word, Excel and One Note 2013. The all produce the Stopped Working error. Word always does this when it closes and all of the programs Stop Working at random times during use.

    I've received the following error messages a few times (not all the time), not sure if it means anything?

    Files that help describe the problem:

      C:\Users\Nick\AppData\Local\Temp\33628027.cvr

      C:\Users\Nick\AppData\Local\Temp\CVR4968.tmp.cvr

      C:\Users\Nick\AppData\Local\Temp\WER2046.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

      C:\Users\Nick\AppData\Local\Temp\WER3721.tmp.appcompat.txt

      C:\Users\Nick\AppData\Local\Temp\WER3EC0.tmp.hdmp

    Thanks for the help guys.

    I'll up-date soon!

    Nick

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments