How do I recover an accidentally deleted, never-saved autorecovery file?

Anonymous
2012-06-22T22:34:15+00:00

When I opened another word document, it asked me whether I wished to keep the autorecovered file (which I'd forgotten about), and I accidentally said "no."  Realizing I still want it, I found the document in my recycle bin and clicked "restore," but now I can't find it anywhere.  Please help!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2012-06-22T23:21:59+00:00

On the File tab, select Recent. At the bottom, click Recover Unsaved Documents. If your document is not listed there, then you're out of luck.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-23T10:55:20+00:00

Do you remember the name of the file?

If yes, you may use the Windows search and check if you find the file in your computer.

Enable hidden files and folders using the link below before doing the search:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Show-hidden-files

For information related to Windows search you may refer to the link mentioned below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-search

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-05-27T00:42:26+00:00

    Happened to me just a minute ago & found it in the recycling bin!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-09-09T13:55:30+00:00

    @

    ST

    Sasan Tavakkol, You are one absolute genius mate and helped to save my day.

    I Followed your instruction and was able to recover mistakenly rejected/cleared MS Word auto-recovery unsaved Word doc of yesterday. Much appreciated.

    For those not sure about the UnsavedFiles location, Pls go to C:\Users\SOMEONE(It's you)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\UnsavedFiles and copy the *.asd file (You dragged out of Recycle Bin)  to this location and recover as advised by Sasan and Susan within any open MS Word: File->Recent-> Recover Unsaved Documents .

    Truly good luck!

    Cheers,

    Arkin

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-09-27T06:24:01+00:00

    Wooow!! This just saved me!! I had no idea what to do if I could not recover this file.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments