How do I recover an accidentally deleted, never-saved autorecovery file?

Anonymous
2012-06-22T22:34:15+00:00

When I opened another word document, it asked me whether I wished to keep the autorecovered file (which I'd forgotten about), and I accidentally said "no."  Realizing I still want it, I found the document in my recycle bin and clicked "restore," but now I can't find it anywhere.  Please help!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2012-06-22T23:21:59+00:00

On the File tab, select Recent. At the bottom, click Recover Unsaved Documents. If your document is not listed there, then you're out of luck.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-23T10:55:20+00:00

Do you remember the name of the file?

If yes, you may use the Windows search and check if you find the file in your computer.

Enable hidden files and folders using the link below before doing the search:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Show-hidden-files

For information related to Windows search you may refer to the link mentioned below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-search

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-10-26T01:20:23+00:00

    This exact thing happened to me, and it wasn't restored to the "Recover Unsaved Documents" folder.

    I went back into the recycle bin, right clicked on an empty space, and clicked "Undo move."

    The file then came back to the recycle bin. Instead of clicking restore, I dragged and dropped the file onto the desktop, and was then able to open it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-11-23T22:20:56+00:00

    Does anyone know how to recover unsaved and deleted *.asd file on Windows 10, Word 2016? Can't find it in: "C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\UnsavedFiles", can't find it in: "C:\Users\*****\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word" can't find it in the bin. Is there any chance to restore it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2017-11-24T07:05:22+00:00

    You can search your C: drive for *.asd files.

    If you find such a file, try opening it from within Word (via File | Open). If that fails, move the file into Word's folder for recovered files and then try again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments