How do I recover an accidentally deleted, never-saved autorecovery file?

Anonymous
2012-06-22T22:34:15+00:00

When I opened another word document, it asked me whether I wished to keep the autorecovered file (which I'd forgotten about), and I accidentally said "no."  Realizing I still want it, I found the document in my recycle bin and clicked "restore," but now I can't find it anywhere.  Please help!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2012-06-22T23:21:59+00:00

On the File tab, select Recent. At the bottom, click Recover Unsaved Documents. If your document is not listed there, then you're out of luck.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-23T10:55:20+00:00

Do you remember the name of the file?

If yes, you may use the Windows search and check if you find the file in your computer.

Enable hidden files and folders using the link below before doing the search:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Show-hidden-files

For information related to Windows search you may refer to the link mentioned below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-search

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2017-10-04T12:13:56+00:00

    Note that documents that have NEVER been saved, which this thread was originally about, would usually be in the unsaved documents folder that Suzanne mentioned in her reply five years ago.

    That said, you can always search for files with the *.asd file name extension and see what, if anything, comes up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-10-13T04:07:27+00:00

    THANK YOU! :D

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-10-19T10:09:17+00:00

    OMG... you are an angel!

    I may have found the answer elsewhere but Google brought me to your answer on how to recover an unsaved Word document.

    You have no idea how helpful your answer is to me.

    Deep and sincere thank you.

    Chris

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments