How do I recover an accidentally deleted, never-saved autorecovery file?

Anonymous
2012-06-22T22:34:15+00:00

When I opened another word document, it asked me whether I wished to keep the autorecovered file (which I'd forgotten about), and I accidentally said "no."  Realizing I still want it, I found the document in my recycle bin and clicked "restore," but now I can't find it anywhere.  Please help!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2012-06-22T23:21:59+00:00

On the File tab, select Recent. At the bottom, click Recover Unsaved Documents. If your document is not listed there, then you're out of luck.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-23T10:55:20+00:00

Do you remember the name of the file?

If yes, you may use the Windows search and check if you find the file in your computer.

Enable hidden files and folders using the link below before doing the search:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Show-hidden-files

For information related to Windows search you may refer to the link mentioned below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-search

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-06-23T01:53:22+00:00

    No luck, but thanks.  I hadn't seen the "Recover Unsaved Documents" tab, which I probably should have clicked before clicking "restore" in the recycle bin.  It's just odd that it was in the recycle bin, and went somewhere when I restored it, but is now nowhere to be found.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-08-21T12:01:47+00:00

    This happened to me. I used the search option under Start Menu (bottom left) and searched the key word "autorecove...". The system showed me some files starting with this name. One of them was the one I deleted. Click the name of the file that you want to restore. 

    A popup window opens up asking for the program that you used to create this file. Mine was a word doc. So I selected that, and my file was restored!!

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-02-15T00:42:10+00:00

    Go to recycle bin. If you are lucky, you will find a file named like "AutoRecovery save of blah blah.asd", where blah blah is the original file name! If you didn't find it there, search for it. It's still possible to find it left somewhere in your hard disk.

    Copy the file to somewhere. Do not restore, otherwise you will lose the file as you possibly don't know its original location. Drag and drop it from recycle bin to somewhere, say on your desktop.

    Word do not recognize this file extension, so you need some tricks here. As Suzanne told "On the File tab, select Recent. At the bottom, click Recover Unsaved Documents." Now copy and paste your recovery file to this folder (Unsaved Documents).

    Open it using word.

    Enjoy :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    200+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments