How do I recover an accidentally deleted, never-saved autorecovery file?

Anonymous
2012-06-22T22:34:15+00:00

When I opened another word document, it asked me whether I wished to keep the autorecovered file (which I'd forgotten about), and I accidentally said "no."  Realizing I still want it, I found the document in my recycle bin and clicked "restore," but now I can't find it anywhere.  Please help!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2012-06-22T23:21:59+00:00

On the File tab, select Recent. At the bottom, click Recover Unsaved Documents. If your document is not listed there, then you're out of luck.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-23T10:55:20+00:00

Do you remember the name of the file?

If yes, you may use the Windows search and check if you find the file in your computer.

Enable hidden files and folders using the link below before doing the search:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Show-hidden-files

For information related to Windows search you may refer to the link mentioned below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-search

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-08-29T16:37:52+00:00

    We found it in the recycling bin... my daughter is my favourite person right now

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-07-20T11:04:18+00:00

    usually here: %appdata%\Microsoft\Word

    just copy the directory to your file explorer. the file will be in a .asd format.

    It usually appears with the name: auto recovery save of (your file name).

    make sure you did check for hidden files also. If the file is not there try checking for it in the recycle pin. copy and paste it to the directory above. Now go to the current version of your file under tab file > Recent > recover unsaved documents. This

    will open a browser window copy and paste the directory above, click on your file name and you will restore it. it will be in view only mode so save a copy to able to edit.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-07-20T09:38:03+00:00

    In my desperation I didn't think to check the recycle bin, instead I got frustrated that 'Previous versions' from Shadow Copies didn't work.

    But another problem occured when I restored the .asd from the recycle bin - the file went missing.

    Turns out the restored file from the recycle bin went to AppData\Roaming while my Microsoft Word checks AppData\Local for .asd files. But now it's all well and done.

    Thank you so much! ^^

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments