How do I recover an accidentally deleted, never-saved autorecovery file?

Anonymous
2012-06-22T22:34:15+00:00

When I opened another word document, it asked me whether I wished to keep the autorecovered file (which I'd forgotten about), and I accidentally said "no."  Realizing I still want it, I found the document in my recycle bin and clicked "restore," but now I can't find it anywhere.  Please help!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2012-06-22T23:21:59+00:00

On the File tab, select Recent. At the bottom, click Recover Unsaved Documents. If your document is not listed there, then you're out of luck.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-23T10:55:20+00:00

Do you remember the name of the file?

If yes, you may use the Windows search and check if you find the file in your computer.

Enable hidden files and folders using the link below before doing the search:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Show-hidden-files

For information related to Windows search you may refer to the link mentioned below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-search

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-10-13T04:07:27+00:00

    THANK YOU! :D

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2017-10-04T12:13:56+00:00

    Note that documents that have NEVER been saved, which this thread was originally about, would usually be in the unsaved documents folder that Suzanne mentioned in her reply five years ago.

    That said, you can always search for files with the *.asd file name extension and see what, if anything, comes up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-10-04T10:36:47+00:00

    If you have clicked yes to: have I saved all files I need.. you may still be able to access them, using the File Tab on Word then selecting Save you will see the autorecovery location, open my computer and find the location listed by Word. open the folder, your most recent recovery files will be saved there, when you are asked which program to open the file with, select from list, then Microsoft word.. *Voila* This worked for me when the answer: 

    "On the File tab, select Recent. At the bottom, click Recover Unsaved Documents. If your document is not listed there, then you're out of luck." did not.

    Cheers

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments