A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
On the File tab, select Recent. At the bottom, click Recover Unsaved Documents. If your document is not listed there, then you're out of luck.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
When I opened another word document, it asked me whether I wished to keep the autorecovered file (which I'd forgotten about), and I accidentally said "no." Realizing I still want it, I found the document in my recycle bin and clicked "restore," but now I can't find it anywhere. Please help!
A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
On the File tab, select Recent. At the bottom, click Recover Unsaved Documents. If your document is not listed there, then you're out of luck.
Do you remember the name of the file?
If yes, you may use the Windows search and check if you find the file in your computer.
Enable hidden files and folders using the link below before doing the search:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Show-hidden-files
For information related to Windows search you may refer to the link mentioned below:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-search
Hi you should go to My Computer, and on the search "My Computer" option, type the name of the document. It will appear in a list of options as an autosaved ".asd" doc, then just click on it. It will open properly, you will just have to save it ;-)
When I opened another word document, it asked me whether I wished to keep the autorecovered file (which I'd forgotten about), and I accidentally said "no." Realizing I still want it, I found the document in my recycle bin and clicked "restore," but now I can't find it anywhere. Please help!
It depends on the program you were using. Go to the program you were using (Word, Excel, etc.) and click "File", then click "Options". Select "Save" on the right side. The "AutoRecover file location" will be listed there. Just copy and paste that into your windows explorer.
For example WORD will have C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\
(Replace YOURUSERNAME with your actual user name)
Any AutoRecover Files you restored from the Recycle Bin that were deleted will likely go to the folder for that program.
If you don't see the file in your recycle bin to begin with try this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/show-hidden-files#show-hidden-files=windows-7
While you are in the save documents section you can also edit how often a file is autosaved, what file type to save the document as (for instance if you want to save in .RTF format instead of .docx) and also change the default save location.
I had the same problem, Here is what happened:
So here's what i did, i searched my hard disk and went to the following directory:
C:\Users\**My Username**\AppData (Hidden Folder)\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel
And i found the file i restored sitting there. Note: I am using Excel 2007.