Adding two formula's together in one cell?

Anonymous
2011-11-06T19:38:01+00:00

I'm now working on a separate work book for our ebay sales, and in one of the cells that outputs the insertion fee is the following:  (Be gentle with me lol, if I've done this the wrong way or it's over winded and could have been done simpler :)  Any way it pulls the insertion fee's from another sheet so that if at a later date they put them up I can just start a new workbook and alter the fee's in that one sheet, but the problem is we sometimes list the same item in two categories so in theory our insertion fee is doubled, so to get around this I have added another column , so now have:  one column with Category One P10, and column two with Category Two R10,  in cell Z10 is the total insertion fee.  But at the moment it just shows the fee's for Category One P10how can I also use the same formula but just add them together?

=IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=0.01,T10<=0.99),'_Settings'!$M$8,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=1,T10<=4.99),'_Settings'!$M$9,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=5,T10<=14.99),'_Settings'!$M$10,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=15,T10<=29.99),'_Settings'!$M$11,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=30,T10<=99.99),'_Settings'!$M$12,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=10),'_Settings'!$M$13,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="Media Related",T10>=0.01,T10<=0.99),'_Settings'!$M$15,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="Media Related",T10>=1),'_Settings'!$M$16,IF(AND(N10="Buy It Now",P10="All Categories"),'_Settings'!$AC$10,IF(AND(N10="Buy It Now",P10="Media Related"),'_Settings'!$AC$11,""))))))))))

Many many thanks in advance for any help, I'm very grateful.

Linda

PS the work book is so that I can see what fee's we are paying and our profit after fees, and so adjust accordingly.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-11-07T10:01:34+00:00

Linda wrote:

Cheers Joe,  here's the linkhttp://www.lindaoraya.talktalk.net/eBay Sales WorkBook.zip

Thank you Joe, still haven't got to bed as yet.  Daughter is ill so, looks like it's going to be a long night :(

Hope you and your daughter managed to get some sleep.

In the meantime, I had a chance to review your past explanations and look at your uploaded file.  I realized that I had misunderstood some of the intended design, mostly due to my ignorance of eBay.

I have uploaded a file with some changes (click here).  That file is an Excel 2003 file.

The primary change is in column Z.  The formula is a correction to my previous efforts, to wit:

=IF(OR(N10="",AND(P10="",R10=""),T10=""), "",

IF(N10="Buy It Now",

IF(P10="",0,IF(P10="All Categories",_Settings!$AC$10,_Settings!$AC$11))

+IF(R10="",0,IF(R10="All Categories",_Settings!$AC$10,_Settings!$AC$11)),

IF(P10="",0,IF(P10="Media Related",

IF(T10<1,_Settings!$M$15,_Settings!$M$16),VLOOKUP(T10,_Settings!$G$8:$M$13,7)))

+IF(R10="",0,IF(R10="Media Related",

IF(T10<1,_Settings!$M$15,_Settings!$M$16),VLOOKUP(T10,_Settings!$G$8:$M$13,7)))))

A significant change is:  you do not need the table I suggested in X1:Y6.  Your existing table in _Settings!$G$8:$M$13 will suffice.

I suspect that the values in P10 and R10 are mutually exclusive if both are specified.  That is, if P10 is "All Categories", I suspect that R10 is "Media Related" or empty; and vice versa.  I also suspect that P10 will never be empty when R10 is non-empty.  That is, you always use Category 1 first and only optionally also use Category 2.

Those observations might lead to some simplification of the formula.  But I suspect only minor simplifications; for example, we probably do not need IF(P10="",0.  But we still need IF(R10="",0.

If you confirm the observations above, I could look to see how much we can simplify the formula, if you wish.  But I think it works well as is, and I suspect it is not overly complicated.

Note that I also made a number of other minor improvements in some unrelated formulas.

  1. I simplified the SUM formulas in C4 and G4.  Note that SUM can have at least as many as 30 parameters (XL2003 limit).  XL2007 might permit more.  I don't know.
  2. I simplified the IF formulas in columns AP, AR and AZ.  Let me know if you have any questions.  In general, it is not necessary to test both of two complementary conditions.  The change in column AZ also includes an arithmetic simplification.
  3. I changed the lower limits in G8 and G15 in the _Settings worksheet from 0.01 to 0.00.  That also required a format change for 0 values (3rd field).  Although column T in the "eBay Sales" worksheet might never be zero, it is better to have 0.00 in the lookup table for technical reasons.  "Defensive programming".  Nevertheless, if you insist on 0.01, it probably will work that way.

Hope that helps.

[EDIT] PS:  I forgot to mention a change that I did not make.  I noticed some content in T1011:U1017 in the "eBay Sales" worksheet.  I'm not sure what they are doing there; I did not find any formulas dependent on that data.  I suspect it should be removed.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-11-06T22:29:36+00:00

    No it isn't possible, an amount would have to be entered into the column and an option Category One would have to be selected. Though I would like the column to remain blank as in no £ sign if data hasn't been entered into the fields as yet!

    Linda

    PS you truly have no idea how grateful I am to you, and everyone else for that matter that has had a hand in getting me this far with these two workbooks.  It's all new to me.  I feel like the dunce in the class lol..  I can code in PHP, Mysql etc, but this is like foreign territory to me.  There are so many ways of writing a formula, and to be honest I don't know the coding for most of what I've wanted to do.  Hence why I'm so grateful to you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-11-06T22:31:55+00:00

    Linda wrote:

    No I just didn't understand how to simplify it that was all.  As in would it still be pulling the amounts from the _settings sheet?  Would I still have the two combo options for both Category One and Category Two?

    Okay, now I'm getting dense.  I am just not understanding you; or I don't know enough about your design to answer you.  I don't know why any of what we have said here would raise the question of what sheet the data comes from.  That's entirely up to you.  I don't know what you mean by "two combo options"; and in any case, I don't know why anything said here would raise that question.  Again, that's entirely up to you.

    Oh well, maybe I just need a break.  I have some other things I should be doing.  I will get back to this in a few hours.  (Your opportunity to call it a night. ;->)

    In the meantime, consider my suggestion about uploading an example Excel (2003) file to a file-sharing website so that we have something real to look at.

    TTYL.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-11-06T22:38:06+00:00

    Ok will do, think I'm going to call it a night myself.  Getting late here.  Thank you for your help Joe, have a great Monday!

    Linda

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-11-07T01:44:09+00:00

    Joe if I convert it to an Excel Work book 97 - 2003 it doesn't save the formula because it says it isn't available in those editions or words to that effect forget the exact words. :)

    Any suggestions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments