Adding two formula's together in one cell?

Anonymous
2011-11-06T19:38:01+00:00

I'm now working on a separate work book for our ebay sales, and in one of the cells that outputs the insertion fee is the following:  (Be gentle with me lol, if I've done this the wrong way or it's over winded and could have been done simpler :)  Any way it pulls the insertion fee's from another sheet so that if at a later date they put them up I can just start a new workbook and alter the fee's in that one sheet, but the problem is we sometimes list the same item in two categories so in theory our insertion fee is doubled, so to get around this I have added another column , so now have:  one column with Category One P10, and column two with Category Two R10,  in cell Z10 is the total insertion fee.  But at the moment it just shows the fee's for Category One P10how can I also use the same formula but just add them together?

=IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=0.01,T10<=0.99),'_Settings'!$M$8,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=1,T10<=4.99),'_Settings'!$M$9,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=5,T10<=14.99),'_Settings'!$M$10,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=15,T10<=29.99),'_Settings'!$M$11,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=30,T10<=99.99),'_Settings'!$M$12,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=10),'_Settings'!$M$13,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="Media Related",T10>=0.01,T10<=0.99),'_Settings'!$M$15,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="Media Related",T10>=1),'_Settings'!$M$16,IF(AND(N10="Buy It Now",P10="All Categories"),'_Settings'!$AC$10,IF(AND(N10="Buy It Now",P10="Media Related"),'_Settings'!$AC$11,""))))))))))

Many many thanks in advance for any help, I'm very grateful.

Linda

PS the work book is so that I can see what fee's we are paying and our profit after fees, and so adjust accordingly.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-11-07T10:01:34+00:00

Linda wrote:

Cheers Joe,  here's the linkhttp://www.lindaoraya.talktalk.net/eBay Sales WorkBook.zip

Thank you Joe, still haven't got to bed as yet.  Daughter is ill so, looks like it's going to be a long night :(

Hope you and your daughter managed to get some sleep.

In the meantime, I had a chance to review your past explanations and look at your uploaded file.  I realized that I had misunderstood some of the intended design, mostly due to my ignorance of eBay.

I have uploaded a file with some changes (click here).  That file is an Excel 2003 file.

The primary change is in column Z.  The formula is a correction to my previous efforts, to wit:

=IF(OR(N10="",AND(P10="",R10=""),T10=""), "",

IF(N10="Buy It Now",

IF(P10="",0,IF(P10="All Categories",_Settings!$AC$10,_Settings!$AC$11))

+IF(R10="",0,IF(R10="All Categories",_Settings!$AC$10,_Settings!$AC$11)),

IF(P10="",0,IF(P10="Media Related",

IF(T10<1,_Settings!$M$15,_Settings!$M$16),VLOOKUP(T10,_Settings!$G$8:$M$13,7)))

+IF(R10="",0,IF(R10="Media Related",

IF(T10<1,_Settings!$M$15,_Settings!$M$16),VLOOKUP(T10,_Settings!$G$8:$M$13,7)))))

A significant change is:  you do not need the table I suggested in X1:Y6.  Your existing table in _Settings!$G$8:$M$13 will suffice.

I suspect that the values in P10 and R10 are mutually exclusive if both are specified.  That is, if P10 is "All Categories", I suspect that R10 is "Media Related" or empty; and vice versa.  I also suspect that P10 will never be empty when R10 is non-empty.  That is, you always use Category 1 first and only optionally also use Category 2.

Those observations might lead to some simplification of the formula.  But I suspect only minor simplifications; for example, we probably do not need IF(P10="",0.  But we still need IF(R10="",0.

If you confirm the observations above, I could look to see how much we can simplify the formula, if you wish.  But I think it works well as is, and I suspect it is not overly complicated.

Note that I also made a number of other minor improvements in some unrelated formulas.

  1. I simplified the SUM formulas in C4 and G4.  Note that SUM can have at least as many as 30 parameters (XL2003 limit).  XL2007 might permit more.  I don't know.
  2. I simplified the IF formulas in columns AP, AR and AZ.  Let me know if you have any questions.  In general, it is not necessary to test both of two complementary conditions.  The change in column AZ also includes an arithmetic simplification.
  3. I changed the lower limits in G8 and G15 in the _Settings worksheet from 0.01 to 0.00.  That also required a format change for 0 values (3rd field).  Although column T in the "eBay Sales" worksheet might never be zero, it is better to have 0.00 in the lookup table for technical reasons.  "Defensive programming".  Nevertheless, if you insist on 0.01, it probably will work that way.

Hope that helps.

[EDIT] PS:  I forgot to mention a change that I did not make.  I noticed some content in T1011:U1017 in the "eBay Sales" worksheet.  I'm not sure what they are doing there; I did not find any formulas dependent on that data.  I suspect it should be removed.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-11-06T22:10:57+00:00

    Linda wrote:

    How can I make it simpler when there are a score load of different prices and combo options each with their own price?

    I don't understand.  Is this a new question -- are you adding new requirements?  Or are you just getting cranky, and it's time to put you to bed, Dear? :-) :-) :-)

    Seriously, if it's a new question or new requirements, I think we need more details.  And it might be better to get a good night's sleep first ;-).

    It might also help if you provided an example Excel file, ideally saved in Excel 2003 format for my benefit ;-).  You can upload the example Excel file to a file-sharing website.  Be sure to mark the uploaded file as "shared" or "sharable", and post the shared URL (aka link; http://...) in a response here.  The following is a list of some free file-sharing websites (or use your own, of course).

    Box.Net: http://www.box.net/files

    Windows Live Skydrive: http://skydrive.live.com

    MediaFire: http://www.mediafire.com

    FileFactory: http://www.filefactory.com

    FileSavr: http://www.filesavr.com

    FileDropper: http://www.filedropper.com

    RapidShare: http://www.rapidshare.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-11-06T22:12:23+00:00

    Ah yes, I should have had that in!  See like I said, so new at this it show lol..  Sorry, I follow your point now.

    Ok I'm going to have a go at this in a bit, cuppa coffee first, then I'll report back how I did.  Is that ok?  Thank you for you help Joe, I feel as if I should paying you.  :)   Will go read up on VLOOKUP whilst having  the coffee.

    Linda

    Edit the zero value that is!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-11-06T22:22:26+00:00

    lol...  Bong!  As zebedee said :)  No I just don't understand!  I think it's age lol..    No I just didn't understand how to simplify it that was all.  As in would it still be pulling the amounts from the _settings sheet?  Would I still have the two combo options for both Category One and Category Two?

    Linda

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-11-06T22:22:36+00:00

    Linda wrote (presumably about T10<0):

    Ah yes, I should have had that in!  See like I said, so new at this it show lol..  Sorry, I follow your point now.

    I suspect you mean that T10 might appear blank, not that T10<0 is truly possible.  But if it is, you might update my last suggestion as follows:

    =IF(OR(N10="",P10="",R10="",T10="",T10<0), "",

    IF(N10="Buy It Now", IF(P10="All Categories",_Settings!$AC$10,_Settings!$AC$11),

    IF(P10="Media Related", IF(T10<1,_Settings!$M$15,_Settings!$M$16),

    VLOOKUP(T10,$X$1:$Y$6,2)))

    +

    IF(N10="Buy It Now", IF(R10="All Categories",_Settings!$AC$10,_Settings!$AC$11),

    IF(R10="Media Related", IF(T10<1,_Settings!$M$15,_Settings!$M$16),

    VLOOKUP(T10,$X$1:$Y$6,2))))

    Linda wrote:

    Thank you for you help Joe, I feel as if I should paying you.  :)

    Where do I send the bill? :-) :-)

    (Seriously, just kidding.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments