Adding two formula's together in one cell?

Anonymous
2011-11-06T19:38:01+00:00

I'm now working on a separate work book for our ebay sales, and in one of the cells that outputs the insertion fee is the following:  (Be gentle with me lol, if I've done this the wrong way or it's over winded and could have been done simpler :)  Any way it pulls the insertion fee's from another sheet so that if at a later date they put them up I can just start a new workbook and alter the fee's in that one sheet, but the problem is we sometimes list the same item in two categories so in theory our insertion fee is doubled, so to get around this I have added another column , so now have:  one column with Category One P10, and column two with Category Two R10,  in cell Z10 is the total insertion fee.  But at the moment it just shows the fee's for Category One P10how can I also use the same formula but just add them together?

=IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=0.01,T10<=0.99),'_Settings'!$M$8,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=1,T10<=4.99),'_Settings'!$M$9,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=5,T10<=14.99),'_Settings'!$M$10,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=15,T10<=29.99),'_Settings'!$M$11,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=30,T10<=99.99),'_Settings'!$M$12,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=10),'_Settings'!$M$13,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="Media Related",T10>=0.01,T10<=0.99),'_Settings'!$M$15,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="Media Related",T10>=1),'_Settings'!$M$16,IF(AND(N10="Buy It Now",P10="All Categories"),'_Settings'!$AC$10,IF(AND(N10="Buy It Now",P10="Media Related"),'_Settings'!$AC$11,""))))))))))

Many many thanks in advance for any help, I'm very grateful.

Linda

PS the work book is so that I can see what fee's we are paying and our profit after fees, and so adjust accordingly.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-11-07T10:01:34+00:00

Linda wrote:

Cheers Joe,  here's the linkhttp://www.lindaoraya.talktalk.net/eBay Sales WorkBook.zip

Thank you Joe, still haven't got to bed as yet.  Daughter is ill so, looks like it's going to be a long night :(

Hope you and your daughter managed to get some sleep.

In the meantime, I had a chance to review your past explanations and look at your uploaded file.  I realized that I had misunderstood some of the intended design, mostly due to my ignorance of eBay.

I have uploaded a file with some changes (click here).  That file is an Excel 2003 file.

The primary change is in column Z.  The formula is a correction to my previous efforts, to wit:

=IF(OR(N10="",AND(P10="",R10=""),T10=""), "",

IF(N10="Buy It Now",

IF(P10="",0,IF(P10="All Categories",_Settings!$AC$10,_Settings!$AC$11))

+IF(R10="",0,IF(R10="All Categories",_Settings!$AC$10,_Settings!$AC$11)),

IF(P10="",0,IF(P10="Media Related",

IF(T10<1,_Settings!$M$15,_Settings!$M$16),VLOOKUP(T10,_Settings!$G$8:$M$13,7)))

+IF(R10="",0,IF(R10="Media Related",

IF(T10<1,_Settings!$M$15,_Settings!$M$16),VLOOKUP(T10,_Settings!$G$8:$M$13,7)))))

A significant change is:  you do not need the table I suggested in X1:Y6.  Your existing table in _Settings!$G$8:$M$13 will suffice.

I suspect that the values in P10 and R10 are mutually exclusive if both are specified.  That is, if P10 is "All Categories", I suspect that R10 is "Media Related" or empty; and vice versa.  I also suspect that P10 will never be empty when R10 is non-empty.  That is, you always use Category 1 first and only optionally also use Category 2.

Those observations might lead to some simplification of the formula.  But I suspect only minor simplifications; for example, we probably do not need IF(P10="",0.  But we still need IF(R10="",0.

If you confirm the observations above, I could look to see how much we can simplify the formula, if you wish.  But I think it works well as is, and I suspect it is not overly complicated.

Note that I also made a number of other minor improvements in some unrelated formulas.

  1. I simplified the SUM formulas in C4 and G4.  Note that SUM can have at least as many as 30 parameters (XL2003 limit).  XL2007 might permit more.  I don't know.
  2. I simplified the IF formulas in columns AP, AR and AZ.  Let me know if you have any questions.  In general, it is not necessary to test both of two complementary conditions.  The change in column AZ also includes an arithmetic simplification.
  3. I changed the lower limits in G8 and G15 in the _Settings worksheet from 0.01 to 0.00.  That also required a format change for 0 values (3rd field).  Although column T in the "eBay Sales" worksheet might never be zero, it is better to have 0.00 in the lookup table for technical reasons.  "Defensive programming".  Nevertheless, if you insist on 0.01, it probably will work that way.

Hope that helps.

[EDIT] PS:  I forgot to mention a change that I did not make.  I noticed some content in T1011:U1017 in the "eBay Sales" worksheet.  I'm not sure what they are doing there; I did not find any formulas dependent on that data.  I suspect it should be removed.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-11-07T17:08:01+00:00

    It's ok, I always take the email notes with a pinch of salt, if they turn up that is lol..  As most of the time it seems to take an hour or two for mine to show up, way after the reply was left.

    Hope you're having a great sleep, will catch you later this evening if you're on, to ask a few questions.  If you don't mind that is!

    Linda

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-11-07T16:50:27+00:00

    Joe, YOU are a star!! Wow that is so much easier! Though have to be honest don't understand it, but it works perfectly. P10 will never be left empty it will as you say be used first, with R10 as a second option, though it is possible to have two listings in the same category, as there are sub categories. So we could list in two sub categories of All Categories or Two of Media, as well as the obvious one of each. I know it's a little confusing. Took me ages to understand it, and even now, after printing it all out from eBay I still have to go and check my print outs to make sure I'm listing in the correct categories (as eBay are pretty hot on deleting accounts if you list in the wrong category!).

    [BLOCKQUOTE] I forgot to mention a change that I did not make. I noticed some content in T1011:U1017 in the "eBay Sales" worksheet. I'm not sure what they are doing there; I did not find any formulas dependent on that data. I suspect it should be removed. [/BLOCKQUOTE]

    Ah yes, that was when I added the property category, but then realised why the **** am I adding that, it's not as if we do property! :) I kinda got carried away with adding all the eBay options! I thought I had removed it all. Oh well thank you for pointing it out.

    Ok I've just got in so I'm going to go make a cuppa and then look at how you did it. I hope you don't mind if I come back later and ask a few questions, so that I can understand how the formula works for another time? Once again "I owe you Joe!" :)

    Linda

    PS, Will someone for the love of god tell me how you add quotes in here!  lol..  if I use the reply with quote it quotes the whole thing and I can't seem to brake it down.  :(  It obviously doesn't take html so....    Come on let me in on the secret, cross my heart I wont tell.  haha

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-11-07T16:40:41+00:00

    Hi Pete,

    Thank you for your reply.  You're both right it should be simplified!  Joe has submitted an easier version, that I'm going to use now.  Though I'me very grateful for the time you've taken to help me out.  I intend to get better at this over the winter lol..  but for now I am in the truest sense a newbie to excel.  Hence so many questions here. :)

    Have a great time at Center Parc's let me know what it was like, was thinking of taking daughter there next year.

    Warmest regards,

    Linda

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-11-07T10:16:33+00:00

    Aside....   Linda, if you receive email notification from this forum, I hope you will be sure to look at my responses online instead of relying on the copy that is included in the notification.

    I have gotten lazy and take (too much) advantage of the edit feature.  I try to limit my edits to minor improvements and after-thoughts.  But occassionally, I do make some important corrections, especially to typos in complicated formulas.

    Often, I annotate these changes with "[EDIT]" or "[ERRATA]".  But lately I have been remiss in doing that, notably in my conversations with you.  In any case, I would like you to see my "after-thoughts".  They should be helpful.

    It is the middle of your morning -- actually, close to noon.  But now it is time for me to go to bed.  So I will not be responding to any follow-up questions/comments of yours for a number of hours.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments