Adding two formula's together in one cell?

Anonymous
2011-11-06T19:38:01+00:00

I'm now working on a separate work book for our ebay sales, and in one of the cells that outputs the insertion fee is the following:  (Be gentle with me lol, if I've done this the wrong way or it's over winded and could have been done simpler :)  Any way it pulls the insertion fee's from another sheet so that if at a later date they put them up I can just start a new workbook and alter the fee's in that one sheet, but the problem is we sometimes list the same item in two categories so in theory our insertion fee is doubled, so to get around this I have added another column , so now have:  one column with Category One P10, and column two with Category Two R10,  in cell Z10 is the total insertion fee.  But at the moment it just shows the fee's for Category One P10how can I also use the same formula but just add them together?

=IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=0.01,T10<=0.99),'_Settings'!$M$8,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=1,T10<=4.99),'_Settings'!$M$9,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=5,T10<=14.99),'_Settings'!$M$10,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=15,T10<=29.99),'_Settings'!$M$11,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=30,T10<=99.99),'_Settings'!$M$12,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=10),'_Settings'!$M$13,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="Media Related",T10>=0.01,T10<=0.99),'_Settings'!$M$15,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="Media Related",T10>=1),'_Settings'!$M$16,IF(AND(N10="Buy It Now",P10="All Categories"),'_Settings'!$AC$10,IF(AND(N10="Buy It Now",P10="Media Related"),'_Settings'!$AC$11,""))))))))))

Many many thanks in advance for any help, I'm very grateful.

Linda

PS the work book is so that I can see what fee's we are paying and our profit after fees, and so adjust accordingly.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-11-07T10:01:34+00:00

Linda wrote:

Cheers Joe,  here's the linkhttp://www.lindaoraya.talktalk.net/eBay Sales WorkBook.zip

Thank you Joe, still haven't got to bed as yet.  Daughter is ill so, looks like it's going to be a long night :(

Hope you and your daughter managed to get some sleep.

In the meantime, I had a chance to review your past explanations and look at your uploaded file.  I realized that I had misunderstood some of the intended design, mostly due to my ignorance of eBay.

I have uploaded a file with some changes (click here).  That file is an Excel 2003 file.

The primary change is in column Z.  The formula is a correction to my previous efforts, to wit:

=IF(OR(N10="",AND(P10="",R10=""),T10=""), "",

IF(N10="Buy It Now",

IF(P10="",0,IF(P10="All Categories",_Settings!$AC$10,_Settings!$AC$11))

+IF(R10="",0,IF(R10="All Categories",_Settings!$AC$10,_Settings!$AC$11)),

IF(P10="",0,IF(P10="Media Related",

IF(T10<1,_Settings!$M$15,_Settings!$M$16),VLOOKUP(T10,_Settings!$G$8:$M$13,7)))

+IF(R10="",0,IF(R10="Media Related",

IF(T10<1,_Settings!$M$15,_Settings!$M$16),VLOOKUP(T10,_Settings!$G$8:$M$13,7)))))

A significant change is:  you do not need the table I suggested in X1:Y6.  Your existing table in _Settings!$G$8:$M$13 will suffice.

I suspect that the values in P10 and R10 are mutually exclusive if both are specified.  That is, if P10 is "All Categories", I suspect that R10 is "Media Related" or empty; and vice versa.  I also suspect that P10 will never be empty when R10 is non-empty.  That is, you always use Category 1 first and only optionally also use Category 2.

Those observations might lead to some simplification of the formula.  But I suspect only minor simplifications; for example, we probably do not need IF(P10="",0.  But we still need IF(R10="",0.

If you confirm the observations above, I could look to see how much we can simplify the formula, if you wish.  But I think it works well as is, and I suspect it is not overly complicated.

Note that I also made a number of other minor improvements in some unrelated formulas.

  1. I simplified the SUM formulas in C4 and G4.  Note that SUM can have at least as many as 30 parameters (XL2003 limit).  XL2007 might permit more.  I don't know.
  2. I simplified the IF formulas in columns AP, AR and AZ.  Let me know if you have any questions.  In general, it is not necessary to test both of two complementary conditions.  The change in column AZ also includes an arithmetic simplification.
  3. I changed the lower limits in G8 and G15 in the _Settings worksheet from 0.01 to 0.00.  That also required a format change for 0 values (3rd field).  Although column T in the "eBay Sales" worksheet might never be zero, it is better to have 0.00 in the lookup table for technical reasons.  "Defensive programming".  Nevertheless, if you insist on 0.01, it probably will work that way.

Hope that helps.

[EDIT] PS:  I forgot to mention a change that I did not make.  I noticed some content in T1011:U1017 in the "eBay Sales" worksheet.  I'm not sure what they are doing there; I did not find any formulas dependent on that data.  I suspect it should be removed.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-11-07T10:16:33+00:00

    Aside....   Linda, if you receive email notification from this forum, I hope you will be sure to look at my responses online instead of relying on the copy that is included in the notification.

    I have gotten lazy and take (too much) advantage of the edit feature.  I try to limit my edits to minor improvements and after-thoughts.  But occassionally, I do make some important corrections, especially to typos in complicated formulas.

    Often, I annotate these changes with "[EDIT]" or "[ERRATA]".  But lately I have been remiss in doing that, notably in my conversations with you.  In any case, I would like you to see my "after-thoughts".  They should be helpful.

    It is the middle of your morning -- actually, close to noon.  But now it is time for me to go to bed.  So I will not be responding to any follow-up questions/comments of yours for a number of hours.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-11-07T08:55:39+00:00

    Good morning Linda,

    As Joe suggested to you last night, I've set up a little table in your workbook in AF1:AG6 in the eBay_sales sheet with these entries:

    0.01 £      -
    1 £ 0.15
    5 £ 0.25
    15 £ 0.50
    30 £ 1.00
    100 £ 1.30

    In AG1 there is a formula:

    =_Settings!M8

    which is copied down to AG6. Your monster formula in Z10 now becomes:

    =IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories"),VLOOKUP(T10,$AF$1:$AG$6,2),IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="Media Related",T10>=0.01,T10<=0.99),_Settings!$M$15,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="Media Related",T10>=1),_Settings!$M$16,IF(AND(N10="Buy It Now",P10="All Categories"),_Settings!$AC$10,IF(AND(N10="Buy It Now",P10="Media Related"),_Settings!$AC$11,0)))))

    and if you want to take account of entries in R10 this is what you need in Z10:

    =IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories"),VLOOKUP(T10,$AF$1:$AG$6,2),IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="Media Related",T10>=0.01,T10<=0.99),_Settings!$M$15,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="Media Related",T10>=1),_Settings!$M$16,IF(AND(N10="Buy It Now",P10="All Categories"),_Settings!$AC$10,IF(AND(N10="Buy It Now",P10="Media Related"),_Settings!$AC$11,0)))))+IF(AND(N10="Auction",R10="All Categories"),VLOOKUP(T10,$AF$1:$AG$6,2),IF(AND(N10="Auction",R10="Media Related",T10>=0.01,T10<=0.99),_Settings!$M$15,IF(AND(N10="Auction",R10="Media Related",T10>=1),_Settings!$M$16,IF(AND(N10="Buy It Now",R10="All Categories"),_Settings!$AC$10,IF(AND(N10="Buy It Now",R10="Media Related"),_Settings!$AC$11,0)))))

    This can then be copied down column Z.

    This could probably be simplified, as Joe says, but I'm going away to Centre Parcs for a few days shortly, so I don't have time to study your workbook layout in more detail. I did notice that you have password-protected the _Settings sheet, so it wouldn't be possible to work on that anyway.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-11-07T04:30:58+00:00

    Cheers Joe,  here's the link

    http://www.lindaoraya.talktalk.net/eBay Sales WorkBook.zip

    Thank you Joe, still haven't got to bed as yet.  Daughter is ill so, looks like it's going to be a long night :(

    Linda

    Just in case it doesn't do that well this is what is in Column Z10 down.

    =IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=0.01,T10<=0.99),_Settings!$M$8,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=1,T10<=4.99),_Settings!$M$9,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=5,T10<=14.99),_Settings!$M$10,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=15,T10<=29.99),_Settings!$M$11,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=30,T10<=99.99),_Settings!$M$12,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="All Categories",T10>=100),_Settings!$M$13,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="Media Related",T10>=0.01,T10<=0.99),_Settings!$M$15,IF(AND(N10="Auction",P10="Media Related",T10>=1),_Settings!$M$16,IF(AND(N10="Buy It Now",P10="All Categories"),_Settings!$AC$10,IF(AND(N10="Buy It Now",P10="Media Related"),_Settings!$AC$11,""))))))))))

    Because I suspect it will just delete the contents from that column, but at least you will see what everything is pointing to.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-11-07T03:52:38+00:00

    Joe if I convert it to an Excel Work book 97 - 2003 it doesn't save the formula because it says it isn't available in those editions or words to that effect forget the exact words. :)

    Any suggestions?

    Right:  probably because of the SUMIFS that I suggested you use.  Go ahead and upload the XL2007 version (normal save).  I'll see what the Office conversion utility does with it at my end.

    Thanks for trying.  Sweet dreams!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments