First Timer: Product Inventory Table

Anonymous
2013-04-03T18:19:00+00:00

Creating a Product Inventory database to keep track of all the promotional items my company has. So far I have three tables: Suppliers, Inventory, and Event. In my Inventory table I have the following columns (in order): Product ID, Product Name, Description, Logo, Color, Size, Total Quantity, Supplier, Event, and Storage. There are so many different styles of shirts that we have accumulated over the years that for every shirt style there are multiple sizes and sometimes multiple colors. So with that, I have choosen to add the size and/or color to the product name as well as in the size and color columns.

For example:

Men's Wicking Polo: Small                             S

Men's Wicking Polo: Medium                        M

Blue Crinkle Cut Paper                                           Blue

Purple Crinkle Cut Paper                                        Purple

Will this create a problem? I didn't know how else to set it up because it didn't think the database would recognize that five Crinkle Cut Papers are different colors (making it five individual products because of the colors), if the product name on all of them is the same.

One more: I tried to run some relationships like between the Suppliers table and the suppliers column under Inventory but it didn't work.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-10-27T13:25:11+00:00

    What does FK stand for? Foreign Key?  I am assuming PK = product key. Just as an add in...i am not familar with stock and inventory terminology. Stock written off? stock-take? I was just told to make an inventory database in Access without every doing this before. So what your saying is that I should still keep the Inventory table but add a colors and sizes table? What would be the difference between the Product table and Invenotry table in your scenario? As well as the difference between the Color and ProductColor tables and Size and ProductSize table?

    I understand what you mean by normalizing it and some of the break down, but I'm not quite grasping the your explainations and reasonings. I would really like to impress my boss and your help is very appreciated.

    The PK Means Primary Key of your table not Product key

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-07-08T17:54:31+00:00

    Sorry, i didn't know how to proceed.

    I understand, Thank you for your response.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-07-08T17:18:10+00:00

    Firstly, you should not piggy-back a post on an old thread, but post a new question and include a hyperlink to an earlier thread to which you wish to refer.

    While I do still have Ms Kelly's file on my system, to make it available to a third party without her permission would be improper.  Only if she were to post her permission here could I make the file available.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-07-08T16:41:04+00:00

    Hello, I want to create a very similar database with this one. Please can you send me the MaryKelly.mdb database?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-11-20T18:03:19+00:00

    I've got to say a big thanks to you all for being so very helpful giving answers to the above post. I'm learning Access and really appreciate your explanations and samples.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments