MSN Money Stock Quotes Not Updating Quotes in Excel 2013

Anonymous
2013-02-24T03:14:27+00:00

I installed the MSN Money Stock Quotes add-in in Excel 2013 and it was working perfectly yesterday, but for some reason it has stopped updating quotes today.  The selection for "Update Quotes" from the add-in toolbar is not active.  However, the "Insert Stock Quotes" button is active and when I press it, I get the Stock Quotes dialog box.  It will insert the formula for the quotes in the spreadsheet, but it does not provide an up-to-date quote.  I would appreciate any help on this, as this add-in is a big time-saver for me.  I did notice that my software was automatically updated yesterday.  (I believe that it was a Windows update, but I am not 100% sure.)  I do not know whether this might have something to do with the change, since, as I said, the add-in was working yesteday.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-04-18T13:55:38+00:00

Did you ever get your MS Money to work?  I had the same problem just yesterday.  The "Update Quotes" tab wouldn't do anything, but the "Insert Stock Quotes" tab would.  I went ahead and re-inserted all the stock symbols by highlilighting my entire selection and everything updated and is working fine again.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-06-28T00:13:25+00:00

    svolland,

    >However in the lower half, under "Locations where connections are used in this workbook", the box is blank and cannot be opened or filled.

    I am not an expert on this process ... but when following the instructions in the beforeitsnews.com article, be sure that in Step 1 you click the icon (in the Data tab) that says "Connections" and NOT the icon that says "Existing Connections".

    In step 5, you click the icon that says "Existing Connections". Then, hopefully, you will see something listed in the section named "Connections in this Workbook".

    I had to try the steps a few times before I got them right. It's confusing to have icons for both "Connections" and "Existing Connections".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-06-27T21:08:12+00:00

    I have Windows 7 and Office 2010, and I lost my stock quotes last week along with everyone else. I tried to follow the steps from the beforeitsnews.com article, but couldn't get thru Step 5. When I re-open Network Connections, the MSN StockQuotes is there with a "connection file" location of: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\QUERIES\MSN MoneyCentral Investor Stock Quotes.iqy".  However in the lower half, under "Locations where connections are used in this workbook", the box is blank and cannot be opened or filled. Clicking the message below ("Click here to see where the selected connections are used"), I get a pop-up error-message saying:  "Connection(s) not used in this workbook."  Has anyone other than langeware tried this alternative and had success?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-06-27T17:35:34+00:00

    I have Excel 2010 with Windows XP 32 bit.  It was working fine up until a couple of weeks ago.  What's up with Microsoft?  Does anyone from Microsoft monitor this forum?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-06-23T19:59:27+00:00

    For those with excel 2010 or newer, I found this alternative (to the MSN Stock Quote add-in) ...

    http://beforeitsnews.com/financial-markets/2013/03/excel-tip-5-how-to-pull-stock-quotes-into-excel-2010-from-msn-money-2518708.html

    Using a built-in Excel function, one can specify a list of stock ticker symbols, and corresponding quotes will be returned (either in an existing worksheet tab, or a separate worksheet tab.

    I took the option of having my selected stock quotes appear in a separate worksheet tab. Then, all I had to do is replace the =MSNStockQuote(...) entries (in my main worksheet tab) with corresponding references to the separate worksheet.

    I'll have to wait for Monday to see how the quotes are updated (I selected option to have quotes updated in background, and when spreadsheet file is opened.

    UPDATE:  I copied my spreadsheet (that uses the old MSN Stock Quote add-in) to a computer that is running Windows 7 and Excel 2010, but DOES NOT have the June Windows Updates installed. Same problem occurred (#VALUE returned). So, I do not think that this problem was caused by anything in the June Windows Update. That leads me to conclude that Microsoft did something on the MSN Money server end (on June 19) to cause this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments