MSN Money Stock Quotes Not Updating Quotes in Excel 2013

Anonymous
2013-02-24T03:14:27+00:00

I installed the MSN Money Stock Quotes add-in in Excel 2013 and it was working perfectly yesterday, but for some reason it has stopped updating quotes today.  The selection for "Update Quotes" from the add-in toolbar is not active.  However, the "Insert Stock Quotes" button is active and when I press it, I get the Stock Quotes dialog box.  It will insert the formula for the quotes in the spreadsheet, but it does not provide an up-to-date quote.  I would appreciate any help on this, as this add-in is a big time-saver for me.  I did notice that my software was automatically updated yesterday.  (I believe that it was a Windows update, but I am not 100% sure.)  I do not know whether this might have something to do with the change, since, as I said, the add-in was working yesteday.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-04-18T13:55:38+00:00

Did you ever get your MS Money to work?  I had the same problem just yesterday.  The "Update Quotes" tab wouldn't do anything, but the "Insert Stock Quotes" tab would.  I went ahead and re-inserted all the stock symbols by highlilighting my entire selection and everything updated and is working fine again.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-07-08T21:06:01+00:00

    Per above solution:

    I have tried the third parameter as "US", "USA", and "NYSE" (as in =MSNStockQuote($A2,"Last Price","US").  All failed on selected tickers I had in my spreadsheet returning all dashes instead of the last price.  I also tried changing the ticker symbol randomly to ones I was not actually interested in just to see if the response was the same and many tickers do work just fine (like "MSFT" or "YHOO"), just not with the two tickers I was looking for (like "DNKN" or "BP").

    By accident, I happened to change the third paramter to "*USA" (note the asterisk before USA) and it suddenly worked for "DNKN" and "BP".  It also works using "*US" (again with the asterisk before US).

    I have been using MSN Stock Quotes for years with no problems, first with Excel 2002, now with Excel 2007.  This all just started around the end of June, 2013.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-07-04T03:28:14+00:00

    manatee_736,

    THANKS !!!!!!!   Works for me too.

    I did find one other change I had to make ... for the daily % change value, I had to change my code from this ...

    =MSNStockQuote($A6,"% Change","US")

    to this ...

    =MSNStockQuote($A6,"% Change","USD")/1000

    [that is I had to use USD and, for some strange reason, I had to divide the return value by 1000 to get the proper percentage]

    Can you provide a link to the post where you found the info about arbitrary syntax change?

    Very unprofessional for Microsoft to make an unannounced syntax change, and then leave it to their customers to figure out what happened. Notice the complete absence of any posts in this thread from Microsoft engaged Moderators.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-07-04T03:05:00+00:00

    This does work, but it is a pain in the butt, as I have around 60 symbols to change with 8 columns, so that's 480 changes I would have to make.  I tried it on three entries, and it works.  There's got to be a better way!!!  i DID FIND A BETTER WAY.  "FIND AND REPLACE"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-07-04T01:47:38+00:00

    I found a solution on a post which stated the following:

    It appears that they made an arbitrary syntactical change without notifying users or maintaining backward compatibility.

    old syntax:

    =MSNStockQuote($A2"Last Price","US"

    where $A2 is a reference to a cell containing the ticker symbol: e.g. GOOG:

    New syntax:

    =MSNStockQuote($A2"Last Price","USD"

    Change all cells from "US" to "USD"

    This seemed to work for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments