Recovery of a file opened in a zipped file and saved with a new name?

Anonymous
2012-02-05T14:52:19+00:00

I opened a docx file within a zipped file. I took it off read only and began to edit it. Then I saved it with "Save As" to rename it but didn't specify a directory. Now I cannot find it, and it doesn't show up as an ASD file when I try to use the Recover Unsaved Documents tool. Any suggestions on how to recover this file and not have to redo 2 hours of editing work?

If there is no way to recover this file, I would suggest that Microsoft change Office so you get an error message when you try to save a file in this way instead of letting you think that this is something you can do.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-17T10:58:01+00:00

Normally when you open Word document and try saving it from the zipped file, the default directory should the following C:\Users<user name>\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$ (followed by number)

Try searching for the zip folders name and see if you can extract the Word files from there.

If you’re not able to find the zipped folder, may be the data is lost.

Note: You will get a prompt stating ‘Some files extracted from <filename> were modified or new files were created. Do you wish to put them to the archive?

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-07T02:41:33+00:00

Check the following MS article on how on recover lost Word documents and check if it helps:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316951

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-05-31T04:27:22+00:00

    I just had this problem and found a solution. I was going crazy... I had spent over 6 hours filling out 40 pages of form and had the exact situation as you... Here's what I did

    1. Open up the same zipped file that you originally opened and enable editing
    2. "save as"
    3. Determine where it is saving the file... copy and paste that directory and open up where it is going to save your new file. go back one folder, you should see  the folder that contains that file

    Should look like this

    C:\Users&lt;user name>\AppData\Local\Temp&lt;file folder>

    good luck

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2013-06-27T14:33:57+00:00

    I just had this problem and found a solution. I was going crazy... I had spent over 6 hours filling out 40 pages of form and had the exact situation as you... Here's what I did

    1. Open up the same zipped file that you originally opened and enable editing
    2. "save as"
    3. Determine where it is saving the file... copy and paste that directory and open up where it is going to save your new file. go back one folder, you should see  the folder that contains that file

    Should look like this

    C:\Users&lt;user name>\AppData\Local\Temp&lt;file folder>

    good luck

    Worked for me....thank you!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments