Recovery of a file opened in a zipped file and saved with a new name?

Anonymous
2012-02-05T14:52:19+00:00

I opened a docx file within a zipped file. I took it off read only and began to edit it. Then I saved it with "Save As" to rename it but didn't specify a directory. Now I cannot find it, and it doesn't show up as an ASD file when I try to use the Recover Unsaved Documents tool. Any suggestions on how to recover this file and not have to redo 2 hours of editing work?

If there is no way to recover this file, I would suggest that Microsoft change Office so you get an error message when you try to save a file in this way instead of letting you think that this is something you can do.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-17T10:58:01+00:00

Normally when you open Word document and try saving it from the zipped file, the default directory should the following C:\Users<user name>\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$ (followed by number)

Try searching for the zip folders name and see if you can extract the Word files from there.

If you’re not able to find the zipped folder, may be the data is lost.

Note: You will get a prompt stating ‘Some files extracted from <filename> were modified or new files were created. Do you wish to put them to the archive?

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-07T02:41:33+00:00

Check the following MS article on how on recover lost Word documents and check if it helps:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316951

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-26T15:34:49+00:00

    Thanks guys for all the advice - I have been having the same problem. Merrily hitting Save As and then losing it to the zipped file! I've now found what I was looking for...I could've cried - three hours of work saved! Wohoo! :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2015-07-28T04:25:44+00:00

    You did not do what I suggested which was to take note of where the file wants to be saved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-07-28T03:40:34+00:00

    Lost mine by trying to reopen it.  This is absolutely ****.  There is no way microsoft should allow this, your saved docs that you go out of your way to save as should never be deleted automatically, or it should just let you save to the compressed file or it should force you to extract the folder so this cant happen.  its way to easy to hit save as, close your work and expect to find it in the recent docs only to have it vanish from all records since the the temps washed themselves clean.  I am absolutely furious at microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments