Recovery of a file opened in a zipped file and saved with a new name?

Anonymous
2012-02-05T14:52:19+00:00

I opened a docx file within a zipped file. I took it off read only and began to edit it. Then I saved it with "Save As" to rename it but didn't specify a directory. Now I cannot find it, and it doesn't show up as an ASD file when I try to use the Recover Unsaved Documents tool. Any suggestions on how to recover this file and not have to redo 2 hours of editing work?

If there is no way to recover this file, I would suggest that Microsoft change Office so you get an error message when you try to save a file in this way instead of letting you think that this is something you can do.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-17T10:58:01+00:00

Normally when you open Word document and try saving it from the zipped file, the default directory should the following C:\Users<user name>\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$ (followed by number)

Try searching for the zip folders name and see if you can extract the Word files from there.

If you’re not able to find the zipped folder, may be the data is lost.

Note: You will get a prompt stating ‘Some files extracted from <filename> were modified or new files were created. Do you wish to put them to the archive?

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-07T02:41:33+00:00

Check the following MS article on how on recover lost Word documents and check if it helps:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316951

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-02-19T23:56:09+00:00

    could you please help me. i have almost the same problem as here and I tried what you have said but to no avail i haven't found the extracted files.

    The zip file was sent via email and after extracting it i do the editing on the said file, i always click on the save button and it is saving ( but i didn't have the extracted file on SAVE AS i just saved it after extracting from the zip file) then i closed the file and the zip where it is extracted and when i look for the said file i cant find it anywhere... could you help?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-13T01:52:09+00:00

    Hi, you've saved my life!!!!!!!

    I was working on a powerpoint presentation for around 10 hours. I was consciously saving every 5 minutes. I then closed it and went to attach it to an email and I couldn't find it. Spent hours trying to recover it and I'd given up hope until I came across your suggestion.

    Thanks very much for sharing, total life saver

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-02-01T12:02:10+00:00

    Thanks a million Daniel, U saved me!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments