Recovery of a file opened in a zipped file and saved with a new name?

Anonymous
2012-02-05T14:52:19+00:00

I opened a docx file within a zipped file. I took it off read only and began to edit it. Then I saved it with "Save As" to rename it but didn't specify a directory. Now I cannot find it, and it doesn't show up as an ASD file when I try to use the Recover Unsaved Documents tool. Any suggestions on how to recover this file and not have to redo 2 hours of editing work?

If there is no way to recover this file, I would suggest that Microsoft change Office so you get an error message when you try to save a file in this way instead of letting you think that this is something you can do.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-17T10:58:01+00:00

Normally when you open Word document and try saving it from the zipped file, the default directory should the following C:\Users<user name>\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$ (followed by number)

Try searching for the zip folders name and see if you can extract the Word files from there.

If you’re not able to find the zipped folder, may be the data is lost.

Note: You will get a prompt stating ‘Some files extracted from <filename> were modified or new files were created. Do you wish to put them to the archive?

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-07T02:41:33+00:00

Check the following MS article on how on recover lost Word documents and check if it helps:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316951

Was this answer helpful?

60+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-05-05T15:38:37+00:00

    did you found solution for this problem???

    cause it's as what i'm facing right now =(

    the difference is that i spent 13 hours on it!! :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-05-05T15:31:07+00:00

    I found the place of the file, i searched in temp as you suggested and also there the original file!!

    any other way? =(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-04-05T12:02:47+00:00

    Thanks so much!! 

    This was totally helpful!!

    I did the Save As and found the below path:

    Clicking on Temp, gave me access to many different folders - one of which had the file I was searching for and on which I had spent a couple of hours!! 

    Thanks a zillion once more!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments