A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Yes, I must learn to proof read when I am tired... Thanks for catching mistakes... it's definitely SHA-512. and yes, DOCX/DOCM.
Nita
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Excel 2013 is extremely slow in opening my large workbook. Sometimes it won't respond at all and freezes my computer.
A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Yes, I must learn to proof read when I am tired... Thanks for catching mistakes... it's definitely SHA-512. and yes, DOCX/DOCM.
Nita
no prob. I see "fumble fingers" and spelling errors AFTER sending emails all too often, too. Just wanted confirmation I was guessing right.
Hello Anita:
I too am experiencing exceptionally slow macros now that I've upgraded to Office 2013 (from 2007). The vast majority of my code starts with "Unprotecting all Worksheets" and ends with "Protecting all Worksheets". What would once be a split second action now takes at least 10 seconds to complete. Is there some way our code needs to be rewritten? Or is it a Microsoft bug that is expected to be fixed soon?
Thanks.
Cathy
Hi Cathy,
It's not a bug, and there is no good workaround. As stated earlier in the thread, this is the result of our need to comply with the OpenXML ISO standards for security. Look up the thread to see where I talked about ISO hashes. Excel 2013 went from having ISO hash turned off by default to turned on, and from SHA-1 to SHA-512 as a default. There is no way in 2013 to turn off ISO security throughout Office.
I wish I had a way to help you out, but I really do not.
Regards,
Anita
I have been battling with this problem too.
I wondered if the password length would make any difference to performance - I found not - but if you set a blank password
Protecting with a blank password locks the cells as usual with no performance problem.
Having a blank password has drawbacks - the user can unlock simply by clicking the Un-Protect sheet button.
However If users cannot save the sheet (a macro in on save event can prevents this) then this could help you - my problem is solved until a better workaround is suggested.
If interested in XL-Database integration - you can see our work here :