Excel 2013 is very slow in loading large workbooks, is there a way to open just the tab I want?

Anonymous
2013-01-21T18:28:33+00:00

Excel 2013 is extremely slow in opening my large workbook. Sometimes it won't respond at all and freezes my computer.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-02-05T17:23:26+00:00

    Hi Jacque,

    Great - that gives me somewhere to go in testing! In fact, we did have one other report where a VS developer found that his macros were running much slower when they protected sheets. Let me try testing with similar code.

    Regards,

    Anita Oakley

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-02-05T11:56:27+00:00

    Thanks Anita!

    Fortunately it'll be not necessary for me to open a case. It would have been a pleasure for me to share my file with you, but in the meantime I have found the culprit for my workbook myself.

    In 'ThisWorkbook', 'Workbook_Open' event, I had a reference to a module 'ProtectWorksheets' which password protects all sheets and the workbook itself when loading the workbook.

    I have 'commented out' this reference and now the file is loading normally.

    Of course the question remains why that reference to 'ProtectWorksheets' didn't cause any problem in Excel 2007 nor in Excel 2010.

    I hope you might find the solution.

    Best regards

    Jacques

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-05T08:05:55+00:00
    1. Opened from local hard drive
    2. I have a number of examples.  The simplest one (in that there is no auto_open or VBA executed on loading and the spreadsheet does NOT recalculate when it is loaded) is 4,175 KB.  I previously saved it in Excel 2013 xls format so it loads cleanly (ie it does not recalculate etc).  When I load Excel 2010, then open the workbook from within Excel 2010 the time is four seconds; When I load Excel 2013 then open the workbook the time to open is 7 seconds.  This spreadsheet has 185 sheets (it's a workbook of examples for a product we sell).
    3. There are multiple formulas on each sheet and about 20 charts.  HOWEVER, the workbook does NOT recalculate when it is opened.  As a result setting calc to manual before opening it makes no difference at all.
    4. No external data ranges.  No external links of any type.

    I can't provide an example as all rely on an Excel add-in being present. However, this makes no difference to the load time and no functions in the add-in are executed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-02-04T20:51:56+00:00

    Thanks Jaques!

    Sure wish I had access to that file. If we opened a case for you (no charge) would you be willing to share it with us to try to determine what's going on?

    Regards,

    Anita

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-02-04T20:32:10+00:00

    As far as I'm concerned (Jacques Deseure), here are my answers to your questions:

    1. I am opening my workbook locally.
    2. Workbook is 2254 kB. 19 Worksheets (3 are "very hidden").
    3. Almost everything made with VBA: many User Forms, 24328 code lines, 792 procedures and 1595 controls. No formulas: everything calculated through VBA code. No difference if calc is set to manual.

    Best regards

    Jacques

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments