WD2013 : Won't allow tables to break across pages

Anonymous
2013-02-23T00:36:16+00:00

I am an intermediate level user of word but seem to be getting stuck on this item with WD2013.  Routinely when I create or paste in tables, WD2013 will not allow the tables to break across pages.  I have done the usual table properties checks (allow break) and paragraph checks (keep with next) but no luck.  I am admittedly only a few weeks old with WD2013, so I'm hoping it is just another setting I'm missing in the new format.

**email address**

Any help is appreciated.

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Stefan Blom 353.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2016-08-11T19:51:23+00:00

    It makes sense that Word tables won't break to the next page if all rows are set to "Repeat header rows," because it would be impossible to enforce that setting. However, it would be a lot better if Word simply prevented you from enabling the option for all rows, of course.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-21T00:27:26+00:00

    I struggled with this issue as well, and I finally figured it out: For my table, it had to do with the Text Wrapping of the table (not the text wrapping of the text).  Here was my fix:

    • Right-click any spot on the table and select Table Properties
    • In the Table tab, look under "Text Wrapping". If it says "Around", change it to "None"
    • Click OK

    If the text wrapping for the table is already set at "None", then your issue is not the same as my issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-03-02T15:54:14+00:00

    Hello..... I was able to turn off "Repeat header rows" for the first row of my table (which is a very long box of text).  However, for all other rows, there is a checkmark and it is grayed out for "Repeat header rows".  I can't seem to turn that off and

    • based on some above posts - maybe that is why my table (long box of text) won't break into two pages.  It just seems to want to continue going down past the bottom margin and beyond......!  Any advice????  Thanks in advance.  (I am using Office 2016.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-03-02T16:13:34+00:00

    UPDATE:  I FINALLY got this to work!!!  I finally was able to figure out how to turn off the grayed-out "Repeat header rows"!!!  I placed my cursor anywhere inside the table, then went to Table Tools / the Layout tab.  Far over on the right side of the Layout ribbon, I found "Repeat Header Rows" and it was selected / turned on.  Once I unselected that, the table (very long box of text that flows across almost 3 pages) is now working perfectly.....breaking where it needs to break, etc.  I appreciate all the information above....I tried just about everything that was suggested!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Stefan Blom 353.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2017-03-02T20:31:51+00:00

    UPDATE:  I FINALLY got this to work!!!  I finally was able to figure out how to turn off the grayed-out "Repeat header rows"!!!  I placed my cursor anywhere inside the table, then went to Table Tools / the Layout tab.  Far over on the right side of the Layout ribbon, I found "Repeat Header Rows" and it was selected / turned on.  Once I unselected that, the table (very long box of text that flows across almost 3 pages) is now working perfectly.....breaking where it needs to break, etc.  I appreciate all the information above....I tried just about everything that was suggested!

    When you enable the "Repeat header rows" option it applies to the selected rows, and you can't turn it off for the first row and leave it selected for the rest of the rows, as you have noticed.

    As I wrote in August 2016, it would be better if Word prevented you from selecting the option in such a way that it doesn't function properly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments