WD2013 : Won't allow tables to break across pages

Anonymous
2013-02-23T00:36:16+00:00

I am an intermediate level user of word but seem to be getting stuck on this item with WD2013.  Routinely when I create or paste in tables, WD2013 will not allow the tables to break across pages.  I have done the usual table properties checks (allow break) and paragraph checks (keep with next) but no luck.  I am admittedly only a few weeks old with WD2013, so I'm hoping it is just another setting I'm missing in the new format.

**email address**

Any help is appreciated.

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-08-14T02:56:44+00:00

    Select the table

    Go to Paragraph setting/ Tab: Lines and Page Breaks

    Check : Keep with next + Keep lines together

    Was this answer helpful?

    200+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-29T18:07:03+00:00

    I have recently come across this same issue.   We had tables that that had the caption the table undering that table but if that table is bigger than a page it is appearing on the next page before it gets split.   This behavior did not occur in 2010 (which I am running) but is occuring on 2013 that my colleagues are using.   We take the first row and change the paragraph and remove keep with next the table will then appear on the same page as caption.   We are both grabbing the file from the same change control tool so both have the same exact file.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-27T02:03:06+00:00

    i also use the caption. (above the table), word 2013!

    And both the caption and the first row appear at the bottom of the previous page.

    I haven't find any wayout perform on the table but setting the caption break before Paragraph( Paragraph setting/ Lines and Page Breaks)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2014-04-27T03:36:56+00:00

    It could be undesirable to apply the Page Break before attribute to the caption as you could end up with a mostly empty page before the table if there are only a few lines of text on the page before the table.

    If you format both the caption and the paragraph in the Repeat heading row so that they are kept with next:

    1. The caption and the Repeat heading row will NOT be orphaned at the bottom of the page.  (The whole table will moved to the next page if there is not room for the caption and the Repeat heading row AND the first row of the table after the Repeat heading row.
    2. The Repeat heading row will continue to function correctly.

    The above is true in both 2010 and 2013.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-07-02T21:22:05+00:00

    Bingo!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments